The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain." - Bob Marley

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
My new guitar seems to be in “new” condition, but it looks like the box has been opened… small missi

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> General PostingMessage format

cleandust
Posted 2019-02-05 10:54 PM (#546921)
Subject: My new guitar seems to be in “new” condition, but it looks like the box has been opened… small missi

Hey guys! I recently received my new Koa ExoticWoods Collection Custom Legend guitar. Sad to say this is the fourth try at getting this guitar, and it finally came in "new" condition. Since November 2018, I have been trying to get this guitar.

1st try: Ordered “New” from Guitar Center. Had finish crack upon opening it. Returned it.

2nd try: Re-Ordered “New” from Guitar Center. Had pick scratches on it. Manager explained to me that it could be possible that this guitar was purchased, then used, and returned within the 45-day return period. I told him it sounds like I bought a used guitar. He said if that’s what I thought then I should probably return it if I want it new. Returned it.

3rd try: Ordered from Musician’s Friend. Had a finish crack upon opening it. Returned it.

4th and final try: Ordered directly from Ovation Guitars. Looked brand new upon opening it.

So, when I opened each box at different times I did notice some differences in packaging, and was wondering if anybody could shine some light here.
With all of these orders there was an Ovation box inside a main outer box.
The first 2 orders from the Guitar Center were pretty much the same. They both came with 2 gel packets, one in the case and one in the guitar, which came out through the sound hole. Also, the preamp battery seemed new.
The 3rd guitar I got came from Musician’s Friend, and they only differed in that, the guitar came wrapped with a thin sheet of foam paper inside the guitar case. It had the 2 gel packets, and the preamp battery seemed new.
Now, this 4th and hopefully final guitar I just opened didn’t have a gel packet in the case, or a gel packet in the guitar. It wasn’t wrapped in a thin sheet of foam paper. And when I turned the onboard tuner on the OP-Pro Studio preamp the battery indicated it was low.

Basically, I was just wondering if this was normally how guitars come directly from Ovation? It seemed like they might have unboxed it at Ovation and took out the gel packets, and the wrapping for reasons unknown. Maybe, they were inspecting it for some reason?

Idunno. Am I trippin’? Or is this normal?

Thanks for taking your time to read this! And thank you for all... if any replies!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2019-02-05 11:24 PM (#546922 - in reply to #546921)
Subject: Re: My new guitar seems to be in “new” condition, but it looks like the box has been opened… small m

So? How do you like the Guitar?

About Gel Packs... I am trying to remember if my New Ovation Guitars came with Gel Packs.
I have not bought any New Ovations in a while.
And those came from New Hartford CT.

But I would NOT be trying to Dry-Out my New Guitar with Silica Packs.
I mean, we keep our houses humidified at 50% to keep our guitars from Drying-Out.

I have seen Gel Packs in guitar CASES and in Gig Bags...
But not with the guitar in it.

I do look forward to other responses.
DetlefMichel
Posted 2019-02-06 5:29 AM (#546924 - in reply to #546921)
Subject: Re: My new guitar seems to be in “new” condition, but it looks like the box has been opened… small m

Besides all that, on the OV site this guitar looks awesome! Do you have experiences with old Custom Legends? How does it feel and sound? Pics?
alpep
Posted 2019-02-06 11:26 AM (#546926 - in reply to #546921)

most import guitars are set up and inspected so they wrapper may be gone or the gel pac missing. personally I would not care.
if you got a guitar from me it would have all sorts of extra cardboard and packing in the box that NEVER came from the manufacturer but that's me I care....

make sure you did not get one of the ones with the super thick tops......
Love O Fair
Posted 2019-02-06 11:48 AM (#546927 - in reply to #546921)

@cleandust - >>>It seemed like they might have unboxed it at Ovation and took out the gel packets<<<

I would guess the opposite.. that the one from Ovation is correct, and that the others were the ones that were unboxed with gel packs added by the retailer since their discount shipping methods may not have been as priority-quick-direct as Ovation's, and knowing that the guitar may sit for hours in an outdoor shipping pod at a rainy airport, or in the back of some truck waiting out a winter storm. In any event, congratulations on your purchase battle victory! Please let us know how it settles in and sounds.
cleandust
Posted 2019-02-06 7:50 PM (#546930 - in reply to #546922)

I never knew those gel packs dry out guitars. Good to know. Thanks for the info!

I definitely love this guitar. I love the sound, and I love the feel of the deep contour bowl.

Thanks again!
cleandust
Posted 2019-02-06 7:57 PM (#546931 - in reply to #546924)

I know, the looks really drew me in. No, I have never had any experience with the old Custom Legends. This would be my first. My father had an Ovation guitar in the house growing up. It had a deep bowl on it. I've owned 2 other Ovations before this Custom Legend. Both were Celebrities. One with a shallow bowl, and the other with a mid-depth bowl. I must say, I absolutely love the deep contour bowl on this Custom Legend.
It feels great sitting and standing. The action feels good to me. And I do love the sound.

Pics coming soon.

Thanks for the reply!
cleandust
Posted 2019-02-06 7:58 PM (#546932 - in reply to #546926)

Thanks for your thoughts!
cleandust
Posted 2019-02-06 8:07 PM (#546933 - in reply to #546927)

Love O Fair - 2019-02-06 9:48 AM

I would guess the opposite.. that the one from Ovation is correct,

I like the sound of that. "Ovation is correct."

Thank you! I am pleased with my purchase. So far it sounds great!

cleandust
Posted 2019-02-08 11:30 AM (#546950 - in reply to #546924)

DetlefMichel - 2019-02-06 3:29 AM

Besides all that, on the OV site this guitar looks awesome! Do you have experiences with old Custom Legends? How does it feel and sound? Pics?

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 350B764A-1DC3-4264-BA50-22A5C42D16F7.jpeg (901KB - 10 downloads)
alpep
Posted 2019-02-08 12:23 PM (#546951 - in reply to #546921)

many big box retailers just take the guitar in and never open them.
when they get an order they ship it out
well I guess if you want a guitar that was untouched that is cool but I ALWAYS inspect every guitar I send out.
Honestly I have sent back custom order guitars that I felt were not up to standards.
that is the level of service you get from a small retailer.....you may save a few dollars at the bigger store but what level of service do you get?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)