The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "There are more love songs than anything else. If songs could make you do something we'd all love one another." -Frank Zappa

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
First timer to OFC, 1973, 1617-1 questions.

View previous thread :: View next thread
   The Ovation Fan Club -> Welcome CenterMessage format

Buckie
Posted 2019-02-24 10:46 AM (#547137)
Subject: First timer to OFC, 1973, 1617-1 questions.

Hello to All, recently purchased a 1973, 1617-1 Ovation. Very nice all original condition. Just like the one Jim Crose played, think that's what made me pull the trigger. Anyways, doing some cleaning and inspecting of guitar and now have some questions if any one can help. No.1, under the piezo bridge is 3 1/2 shims with the half being on the high E side. Is this normal, factory? No.2, under the truss rod plate on the headstock, there's a number in red ink that close to the serial number but doesn't match. The bowl number is 016152 and the headstock number is 16121. Factory error or normal occurrence? No.3, wanted to remove the electronics for testing and inspecting. The piezo pick-up wiring is soldered directly from the volume control box to the pick up. No way to remove unless unsoldering these delicate components, any ideas? Could I cut this wire and install 3.5mm plugs like the later models did? That's enough for now, thanks.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
alpep
Posted 2019-02-24 1:34 PM (#547142 - in reply to #547137)
Subject: Re: First timer to OFC, 1973, 1617-1 questions.

guitars were shimmed to make them play the best they could there were no standard amount of shims it all depended on the neck angle

the number under the trc I have seen before I think that was some sort of internal inventory number but I am not sure

good luck with soldering those pickups
which preamp do you have?

if it is the stack knob I can provide modular preamp and pickup

good luck
Buckie
Posted 2019-02-24 4:26 PM (#547146 - in reply to #547137)
Subject: Re: First timer to OFC, 1973, 1617-1 questions.

The preamp is just volume. Knob looks like a fender amp knob. The small gray metal box it is attached to has a circuit board full of capacitors, resisters and what not. I think it is a very early one for Ovation. Battery box is a piece of u- shaped alumium that battery snaps into.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)