The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "I've always felt that blues, rock 'n' roll and country are just about a beat apart."-Waylon Jennings

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Rebuilding a 70s 1617

View previous thread :: View next thread
   The Ovation Fan Club -> Welcome CenterMessage format

keldon85
Posted 2019-08-15 8:50 PM (#549596)
Subject: Rebuilding a 70s 1617

Several years ago I acquired a 1617 with a hopeless top -- multiple cracks, badly warped, bridge lifting, and the original VT-11 bracing pattern. My intent was to put a new top and wider neck on it. I now have time to revisit this project. I was planning on building the top with x-bracing modeled on a Martin OM and have a nice top and the brace wood cut out for that, but I was thinking of perhaps using Ovation A-bracing instead. Does anyone have measurements on the height of the main brace under the sound hole for a Legend with the A-pattern bracing? I can scale the other measurements that I need if I had a good measure of the height of that, considering the pictures I have collected of the insides of A-braced tops.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
keldon85
Posted 2019-08-18 8:28 PM (#549634 - in reply to #549596)
Subject: Re: Rebuilding a 70s 1617

I know, it is bad form to reply to your own post, but after going through the BFLG I found the details that I was looking for in a very nice write-up on the rebuild of an 80s A-braced 1617 that gave the dimensions of the braces. However, reviewing the various models of steel-stringed instruments I have played, I have decided to stick with an X-brace layout. I like a stronger bass sound as well a brilliant treble, and the top I have is already thinned to to about 3/32" overall.
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2019-08-18 10:14 PM (#549635 - in reply to #549596)
Subject: Re: Rebuilding a 70s 1617

You have been "upgraded" to a Member.
You may now post elsewhere on the site.
Very few people can respond in this section.
I look forward to seeing your project.

Welcome
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)