The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Jazz... isn't that just a series of mistakes disguised as musical composition?” - David St. Hubbins of Spinal Tap

Jump to page : 12
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
80's Custom Legend Cutaway wanted!

View previous thread :: View next thread
   The Ovation Fan Club -> For SaleMessage format

Acrocat
Posted 2020-07-26 10:54 PM (#552597)
Subject: 80's Custom Legend Cutaway wanted!

Hi fellow Ovation friends. (Admin I'm not sure if I am allowed to post a "wanted' Ovation so please forgive me - I cannot find what I want.) I'm looking for "the one that got away" - my 1983 Custom Legend Cutaway. I think it was a 1669. I want one in mint or near mint condition. Mine had the tone/volume control on top of the body (not near the neck). Due to illness time is not on my side so I'm asking members of the Ovation Fan Club.

I am in Sydney Australia but will pay the crazy postage costs charged by FedEx as well as duty, GST and quarantine on my side. My original was black, with the carved bridge. I have a 2011 USA Custom Legend Cutaway as new, but it's not like my original one. I believe the sound I loved so much about it was due to the A bracing. Any color would be fine, it must however be in good condition. I have a mint 2006 Limited Edition Glen Campbell 12-string slot-head - no 43. It has the same style tuners as the Custom Legend Cutaway which I could suggest as a trade or part thereof but the trader would need to pay shipping from Australia. The good news is that te Aussie dollar is currently buying US$0.70 So anyone in the USA would have the exchange rate advantage.

I can be contacted via email for photos of the Glen Campbell 12-string if you are interested but please find me my 1669 Custom Legend Cutaway. Help!!!

Stacey

"I write my own songs so that I don't stuff up anyone else's" - Paul Williams

I'm not listing my guitar collection below - it's a fairly long list!!!

Top of the page Bottom of the page
nerdydave
Posted 2020-07-26 11:22 PM (#552598 - in reply to #552597)
Subject: Re: 80's Custom Legend Cutaway wanted!

Sorry about your illness. All gets poignant toward the end!
Acrocat
Posted 2020-07-27 8:18 PM (#552605 - in reply to #552598)

You are so right about that. But there are so many who have it worse. I was embarrassed to say anything but in reality I can't wait for years to find one, so I risked it. Thank you for your kind comment.
elginacres
Posted 2020-07-29 9:08 PM (#552611 - in reply to #552597)

AJ - are you around - any chance you or your mates can help this person out?
Acrocat
Posted 2020-07-30 11:19 PM (#552614 - in reply to #552611)

Thanks so much - any thoughts or contacts are so appreciated.
Acrocat
Posted 2020-07-30 11:27 PM (#552616 - in reply to #552597)
Subject: RE: 80's Custom Legend Cutaway wanted!

Apologies... Just to confirm. The limited edition Glen Campbell 12-string part trade was a thought. I'm more than happy, however to pay for the guitar - no trade, if anyone would like to sell outright. I was able to buy a gorgeous Custom Legend (1985), from a great friend. It's beautiful, sounds and feels fantastic. I'm keen however to find a Cutaway like I had - 1983, 1669, CLC, and I would be over the moon.
richardd
Posted 2020-08-08 4:47 PM (#552683 - in reply to #552597)

Acrocat , I sent you a PM
Acrocat
Posted 2020-08-10 3:44 AM (#552690 - in reply to #552683)

Thank you - I replied. Many thanks for the interest. I don't believe it's your guitar that I bought but there is one for sale in the Ovation Fan Club. It certainly looks like mine. Good luck ... I know all about the heartbreak of the one that got away...
Acrocat
Posted 2020-08-11 12:24 AM (#552693 - in reply to #552597)

I would like to update my post. I think the closest I am going to get to my 1983 Custom Legend Cutaway that is more likely to be in mint condition is the Al Di Meola Signature Custom Legend Cutaway. So if anyone wants to sell one please email me. All the best - stay safe wherever you are.
elginacres
Posted 2020-08-19 2:45 PM (#552735 - in reply to #552597)

Acrocat: Here is an option, not sure if you have seen it: https://reverb.com/marketplace?query=ovation%20al%20dimeola

I also could part with my 50th anniversary Legend - it is a cutaway - A Bracing...stellar instrument...not from the 80s though...just pm me if interested.
M
Acrocat
Posted 2020-08-26 7:13 PM (#552760 - in reply to #552735)

Hello! Yes I've seen it - thanks. Thank you for your suggestion about your 50th Anniversary Legend. This may be a silly question: is it a Custom Legend Cutaway and is it black? There are a few for sale currently - none that are black. Also there are 2 Al DiMeola's supposedly coming from the Custom Shop, except I can't get the shop to answer my email. I'm sure they won't be cheap - especially with exchange rate, postage, taxes etc so I will keep looking for a 2nd hand one, or give up the search. They come up for sale in shops in the USA (like Guitar Centre) who wont post to Australia. Not sure why - I'm the one paying!! So I may end this search. If you would like to discuss your 50th please DM me - sorry about the picky for a black one part. I'm trying to replace one on my album covers - a black one, so colour is important to me. Many thanks.
Acrocat
Posted 2020-08-26 8:14 PM (#552761 - in reply to #552735)

Hello! Yes I've seen it - thanks. Thank you for your suggestion about your 50th Anniversary Legend. This may be a silly question: is it a Custom Legend Cutaway and is it black? There are a few for sale currently - none that are black. Also there are 2 Al DiMeola's supposedly coming from the Custom Shop, except I can't get the shop to answer my email. I'm sure they won't be cheap - especially with exchange rate, postage, taxes etc so I will keep looking for a 2nd hand one, or give up the search. They come up for sale in shops in the USA (like Guitar Centre) who wont post to Australia. Not sure why - I'm the one paying!! So I may end this search. If you would like to discuss your 50th please DM me - sorry about the picky for a black one part. I'm trying to replace one on my album covers - a black one, so colour is important to me. Many thanks.
Jimmer
Posted 2020-08-28 4:50 PM (#552762 - in reply to #552761)

Hey Stacey we seem to have similar tastes.

My first guitar was a 1657-7 Custom Legend (no cutaway).
http://www.ovationfanclub.com/megabbs/photos/get-photo.asp?photoid=...

But I didn't let it go too far away. I gave it to my daughter so I have visitation rites.

I'll keep my eye open for a cutaway for ya.

Hope you're hanging in there all right.

Jim
Acrocat
Posted 2020-08-30 6:24 PM (#552774 - in reply to #552762)

Hello Jim

So nice to hear from you. I'm whispering here as I don't want 'Ol Blue' to hear that I'm looking for my first 1669 Custom Legend Cutaway. I'm impressed that you had the forward-thinking to retain visitation rights!!! ?? I saw your photo - truly gorgeous.

Things are a bit rough on the health front so I'm trying to find my old girl, or something like her, as memory value. My 1669 was bought from Manny's in New York in (I think) 1983, and is all over my record covers. My parents visited New York and were given strict instructions plus my hard-earned gig money to buy it and bring it home for me (then it was South Africa). Isn't there always one guitar that one regrets selling?

I hope things are well with you. I may have to cough up for a new Al DiMeola - the Custom Shop is still making them but as it's more for the memory value, it may be a bit much after all costs, taxes etc. It's so nice to see you on here - it's coming up to 2 years since Ol Blue moved to Australia. And he/she is very much loved!

Take care, Jim. All the best, Stacey
Jimmer
Posted 2020-09-17 4:19 PM (#552883 - in reply to #552597)

Hi Stacey

Glad to hear ole Blue is doing well. If you ever wants some beauty pics of her I still have some posted in the Gallery:
http://www.ovationfanclub.com/megabbs/photos/photo-thumbnails.asp?a...

I gave my daughter the choice of the Ovation Legend or I'd buy her something new of similar value. She didn't hesitate and took the Ovation. She's got a keen eye and the neck fits her hand better than mine. I went out and drowned my sorrows in a Martin HD-28 so it wasn't so bad.

I'm down to one Ovation at the moment. I bought one of the 50th Anniversary Elites with the cutaway. It's Black with Gold epaulets.

For my guitar lessons I'm learning classical pieces so I mostly have been playing my lil Manuel Rodriguez with a pickup and cutaway. It has a cedar top and babinga wood sides and back. It's a lovely sounding guitar. My lessons are all zoom of course.

Hope you're finding time to play in these crazy times.

Take care

Jim
Acrocat
Posted 2020-10-04 2:05 AM (#552983 - in reply to #552883)

Jim - down to only one Ovation??? I'm laughing!!! My few amongst so many different makes that have arrived over the last 2 years, hardly make a percentage dent!!! I went from playing to collecting in 3 milliseconds of hearing a duet with Tommy Emanuel and Billy Strings. Unfortunately my guitars overheard and tried to catch an Uber in the middle of the night when I was asleep, to find someone more in their league. So I sat them all down and gave them a big lecture about how well they are treated and treasured, kept in cases, not collecting dust... And so on. So they stayed.

I bought a nylon crossover Cordoba and hauled out my old Brazilian songs as well as some Gypsy Kings! Go figure!!! I love it.

I'm going to give up the Ovation hunt. I managed to get my television performances onto DVD, (took a tranquilliser as I haven't watched them for 30 years). And there's my gorgeous 1669 - irreplaceable but happy to see it again along with my Guild D55 which I used on recordings. And my ears are opening (as well as my mind) to so many guitars out there that perhaps I should have played some time ago. It has been a horrible year for everyone. I hope that you stay well - keep playing. I'm going to stop collecting now. I have almost more stock than my guitar shop! All the best to you and the family. Stacey
Acrocat
Posted 2020-10-04 2:08 AM (#552984 - in reply to #552597)

Search over. Thanks to all who wrote or replied. I'm going to stop searching. My 1983 1669 will remain "the one that I regret selling". I hope that whatever you're looking for - you find it, or whatever you're selling, you don't have any regrets!! Lesson well learnt.
moody, p.i.
Posted 2020-10-04 9:39 PM (#552985 - in reply to #552597)

Stacey, post some videos if you can from your television days. Love to see them.....
Acrocat
Posted 2020-10-07 1:05 AM (#553000 - in reply to #552985)

I will! I just managed a conversion from VHS to DVD. Now to convert that and to upload to YouTube is my next challenge. And they made me hate myself even more for selling my Custom Legend Cutaway as it had more "camera and light appeal" than my 1981 Guild D-55 (which I used on my records) and still own. The video/YouTube thing isn't easy... ?? But it's on the way...
Acrocat
Posted 2020-11-10 6:22 PM (#554195 - in reply to #552597)

Hi Ovation guitar enthusiasts! Well, I didn't find a 1669 but I came close enough. A great, Ovation lover and walking Ovation Encyclopaedia friend who is a member of this club, alerted me to a post on Reverb, that I would not have seen due to my location in Australia. Also I did not know anything about this model - an N769-5 that was for sale. The only damage is a broken off "ear" off the headstock and a woeful case. I am lucky to have a world-class luthier who will repair the headstock (for a heavy price) but he is amazing. I anxiously opened the case expecting to find dents, dings in this 1992 model, but it's absolutely perfect apart from the headstock. And the transaction plus postage, through Reverb, took all of a mere 5 days from Texas to Sydney. I am thrilled. Now I need to buy a new hard case from the USA as there are none in Australia (other than an unbranded Hiscox). These things are truly minor when compared to the guitar - black, Cutaway and bling for a bling dent diva!!! I am one extremely happy Ovation lover!
Love O Fair
Posted 2020-11-10 6:50 PM (#554196 - in reply to #552597)

Congratulations on your purchase! Sometimes it takes a long trip around the horn to eventually acquire a pot of gold you originally thought was eluding you.
Jimmer
Posted 2020-11-18 7:31 PM (#554299 - in reply to #554195)

Hi Stacey

That's great news!

You know the rules on a guitar forum?

New guitar acquisitions MUST be accompanied with lots of pictures of said instrument as soon as you can post them.

Can't wait to see it. Hope it plays well too.

I'm working on a version of O Christmas Tree in Drop D tuning that's a bit advanced for me. But it's really lovely so it's worth some extra work.

Hope you're well.

Jim
Acrocat
Posted 2020-11-20 5:04 AM (#554319 - in reply to #554299)
Subject: Re: 80's Custom Legend Cutaway wanted but an N769-5 found instead!

Hi Jim

I have photos but I have no idea how to upload photos onto this site. If you still have my email address please tell me what to do and I'll upload them. The seller also asked for photos of me with it so I took it to my guitar shop and they photographed me with it, after we discussed some repairs to it (a chopped off head stock "ear") and a whacked case. But Ovation cases don't exist in Oz. And my luthier is doing me a "favor" by repairing it for me next year (he is a great one - world class), but he works for the guitar shop I frequent way too frequently, so I can demand whatever for a price!!! The Aussies love wood. Ovation never took off here. And they certainly only have a very limited selection here of low priced new models - all made in the East. As for accessories - no chance. But next year the headstock will be repaired and the back of the neck repainted as well. And my long time regret will be over, my memories now a reality. I'm truly lucky to have found this guitar. All the best Jim. Keep playing!

Edited by Acrocat 2020-11-20 5:34 AM

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 9FEFAF63-A593-48A5-84B2-74FC769AD914.jpeg (58KB - 12 downloads)
Attachments 23BE6C05-E34A-4E1F-8507-0C49F0812512.jpeg (58KB - 7 downloads)
Acrocat
Posted 2020-11-20 5:39 AM (#554320 - in reply to #552597)

Trying a few more photos:
Acrocat
Posted 2020-11-20 5:13 PM (#554322 - in reply to #552597)

Photos:

Attachments
----------------
Attachments CBC4A46A-4F24-4B2C-B8E3-1B775EC6DC06.jpeg (58KB - 14 downloads)
Attachments 5490F134-14C4-4956-AAFC-E29B25B83ED3.jpeg (18KB - 10 downloads)
Attachments 737AE83B-90BB-4271-B1BD-C878BA11D706.jpeg (10KB - 7 downloads)
Attachments C90320A0-2572-4C11-885F-0A14AA6480B8.jpeg (19KB - 9 downloads)
Attachments 810CB715-13F7-4279-B291-D95EA0DBA645.jpeg (17KB - 9 downloads)
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)