The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: “Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything.” -Plato

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Pickup on a 1990 Collectors Series....

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> About my guitar...Message format

Skin-job
Posted 2021-11-03 7:56 AM (#556366)
Subject: Pickup on a 1990 Collectors Series....

Hello from London.

I've had a really interesting time reading through all the forums. There's a wealth of information here....

I have a question.

recently acquired an Ovation 1990 Collectors edition. Beautiful Birds Eye maple top. Gorgeous guitar.

It had a replacement bone saddle fitted which sounds great. Purely acoustic, no piezo.

I would like to reinstate the pickup/preamp. It's the original OP 24 preamp which I'm assured is working.

I tried the original saddle/piezo unit in but it's way too tall for the action I like.

I fully realize the neck needs resetting, but that isn't an option at the moment, so I'd like a compromise for the time being.

Is it possible to safely remove the plastic saddle from the piezo's metal base so I can work on it?

I haven't tried so far, for fear of damaging it.

Grateful for any help, thank you.

Karl
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2021-11-03 8:10 PM (#556368 - in reply to #556366)
Subject: Re: Pickup on a 1990 Collectors Series....

Yes... You can remove the saddle from the "frame".
You could pick up some information from This Thread.
It covers a lot of topics. But you can see how the saddle comes-off.
Let the adventure begin.
Skin-job
Posted 2021-11-04 5:21 AM (#556374 - in reply to #556366)

Thank you very much for the reply and the advice.
Since posting the original question, I've found 'low profile' Ovation pickup/saddle units at 'My Dusty Guitar' and have ordered one to see if it'll be suitable.
Dusty says the overall height is 8.5mm which is easily 2mm less than the standard pickup/saddle fitted.
So, hopefully this will work and keep the old girl playable until I can afford to get the neck reset.
Many thanks for the help.

Edited by Skin-job 2021-11-04 5:22 AM
arumako
Posted 2021-11-04 6:02 PM (#556380 - in reply to #556366)

Nice! I've purchased a battery cover from My Dusty Guitar. I think the owner is an OFC member. Just wanted to chime in to say if the 1990 Collector's has a bolt-on neck (I've never owned one, but maybe one of the other members could chime in). A complete neck reset may not be necessary. I've adjusted the neck angle on several bolt-on Os and it's really not that complicated at all. Assuming you've removed all the shims under the existing saddle...

1. Prep some 100 grit sandpaper by taping clear scotch tape to the back and cut into small half inch strips.
2. Open the manhole cover on the guitar
3. Loosen and remove the neck bolt (the fret board extension is glued to the top so it shouldn't move at all
4. With the bowl of the guitar facing toward you and the neck facing upward; gently (and I mean gently) push the heel of the neck away from you so that the neck joint opens up just enough to allow a strip of the taped sandpaper to slide between the bowl and the neck's heel joint.
5. Insert the sandpaper face-up (rough side facing the heel) into the left side of the heel (again be gentle, too much pressure and the fret board could crack. Pull the sandpaper out gently and slowly as to not allow any tear-out (of the sand paper). Repeat anywhere between 5 to 10 times. Make sure to count the number of sandpaper strokes applied and repeat the same number of strokes for (6.) and (7.).
6. Repeat (5.) above on the right side.
7. Repeat (5.) on the bottom of the heel
8. Check neck angle
9. Repeat (5.) ~ (8.) above until desired angle is achieved.

Haven't seen the extent of your guitars condition, but since a saddle height difference of 2mm is going to help as noted in your post above, the 1990C's neck angle may not be that far-off. Good-luck!
Skin-job
Posted 2021-11-06 7:59 AM (#556397 - in reply to #556366)

Thank you very much for the advice, much appreciated

Karl

Edited by Skin-job 2021-11-06 8:00 AM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)