The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Jazz... isn't that just a series of mistakes disguised as musical composition?” - David St. Hubbins of Spinal Tap

Jump to page : <123 4 56789>
Now viewing page 4 [25 messages per page]
Pandora II- The GCDB Restoration

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Member Communities -> Bottom Feeding Luthiery GuildMessage format

DanSavage
Posted 2022-01-23 3:02 PM (#556938 - in reply to #556707)
Subject: RE: Pandora II- The GCDB Restoration

Another possibilty for the bowl re-spray is Eastwood 2K Urethane Gloss Black in a rattle can.

At $29.99 per can it's a little pricey, but you end up with a true catalyzed finish like what was used originally.

It willl be a lot tougher finish than gloss enamel.

Top of the page Bottom of the page
seesquare
Posted 2022-01-24 7:38 AM (#556939 - in reply to #556707)

Thanks for the suggestion, Dan. Actually, I am getting a basic airbrush, single-action, siphon-bottle, and the necessary parts to connect to my little compressor. Been watching several Youtube videos, thus far, and gotten a pretty good idea what I'm in for. I will practice & experiment a bit with different paints, pressures, & thinning before shooting the bowl, proper. I should be able to find some decent black gloss urethane to use, if that gives a tougher & more durable finish. When you really evaluate where a guitar gets the most " normal abuse", it's probably on the back, next to your body, hence "buckle rash".
So, put a couple of coats of Truoil on the neck, and have plugged that little hole on the bowl with some epoxy. Got a fresh batch of 500-weight wet-or-dry to sand out the scratches on the bowl, and planning on a couple of hours of messy dermabrasion.

(bowlhole- smaller image.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments bowlhole- smaller image.jpg (91KB - 0 downloads)
arumako
Posted 2022-01-24 8:22 AM (#556940 - in reply to #556939)

seesquare - 2022-01-23 9:38 PM

Actually, I am getting a basic airbrush, single-action, siphon-bottle, and the necessary parts to connect to my little compressor. Been watching several Youtube videos, thus far, and gotten a pretty good idea what I'm in for.

You're on the move there seesquare; but yeah, for the kind of work required on a guitar finish, you don't need anything complicated or super powerful - sounds like you're well on your way. Since you were saying some of the gouges are deep, you might want to use the rattle can black poly that Dan suggests to fill the gouge areas; sand them down nicely and use the air brush for your final gloss coats. Sometimes even gloss black can be tricky to color match; so you might need to airbrush the whole bowl; but you all have all kinds of excellent polyurethane products in the States including waxing compounds; so you're in good shape! Carry on, carry on!
seesquare
Posted 2022-01-24 11:17 AM (#556941 - in reply to #556707)

Yes, the whole bowl is getting refinished. I was planning on priming the surface to fill some minor scratches & provide a better foundation for the gloss coats.
This is the 1st session of remediation. Have some work left to do. 500-grit is slow, but effective. I can determine where the repainting occurred, and where the original fiberglass structure lies.

Edited by seesquare 2022-01-24 11:21 AM

(bowl sand 1- smaller image.jpg)

(bowl sand 2- smaller image.jpg)

(bowl sand hole 1- smaller image.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments bowl sand 1- smaller image.jpg (70KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments bowl sand 2- smaller image.jpg (63KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments bowl sand hole 1- smaller image.jpg (47KB - 0 downloads)
Love O Fair
Posted 2022-01-24 11:25 AM (#556942 - in reply to #556707)
Subject: Re: Pandora II- The GCDB Restoration

Looking at the photo on the hole patch, the bowl looks like textured lyrachord. I realize that it isn't, and wondered if it was because of the intensity of the camera light.. thinking maybe they all look like that under intense light.. so I shined a bright light on my shiny and saw nothing alike. Now I see that your next post post came in while I was typing [now editing]... the bowl was painted? Is that what we were seeing there? Orange peel?

@arumako - >>>but you all have all kinds of excellent polyurethane products in the States including waxing compounds<<<

Sorry a bit topical-astray.. but that's the part I don't get. Not that I doubt you. At all. It is what it is. And for importing your own stuff we understand how you use sunglasses with suave and debonair charm on the gushing gate agent at LAX who thinks you're a rock star with heavy luggage. I'm just wondering why street beggars like me cannot easily acquire excellent thane & wax there. Can you order specific product from the USA online.. or is it not allowed to import? Heck, let me know what you need and I will gladly FedEx it inside a caramel fudge cake.

Edited by Love O Fair 2022-01-24 11:56 AM
seesquare
Posted 2022-01-24 4:26 PM (#556944 - in reply to #556707)

After another coupla-hours of sanding, I got the repaint coating eradicated. So, what you see now is the 500-grit surface of the original fiberglass. There are still a few speckles left, but the scratches have been sanded out, and the primer will fill those specks, I'm sure.

(sand bowl 1- smaller image.jpg)

(sand bowl 2- smaller image.jpg)

(sand bowl 4- smaller image.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments sand bowl 1- smaller image.jpg (51KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments sand bowl 2- smaller image.jpg (48KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments sand bowl 4- smaller image.jpg (69KB - 0 downloads)
arumako
Posted 2022-01-25 12:55 AM (#556945 - in reply to #556944)

seesquare - 2022-01-24 6:26 AM

After another coupla-hours of sanding, I got the repaint coating eradicated. So, what you see now is the 500-grit surface of the original fiberglass. There are still a few speckles left, but the scratches have been sanded out, and the primer will fill those specks, I'm sure.

WOW seesquare! That is some excellent work! Looks really really good. With a surface like that, the primer is obviously going to take to its job effectively. With this kind of patience, you're definitely going to have a vintage "shiny" bowl! NICE!

Edited by arumako 2022-01-25 12:59 AM
d'ovation
Posted 2022-01-25 10:27 AM (#556946 - in reply to #556707)

Wow what a labour of love. As someone who is totally not handy and who has to hire someone for the most mundane tasks I am in awe of the BFLG threads. Thanks for sharing the journey.
seesquare
Posted 2022-01-25 8:26 PM (#556948 - in reply to #556707)

Thanks Guys! I'm really enjoying this project, & sharing my neurosis. As one of my colleagues in the behavioral health biz once demanded in a staff meeting, "Your clinical presentation case needs to have a high EQ, and a low KI." As we were intrigued, curious & befuddled, he spelled it out, That's Entertainment Quotient, and Knucklehead Index."
Hopeful, I am maintaining the criteria for high EQ.
So, today's progress. I removed the old, brittle binding & rerouted the channels. I have a 4-part wood-strip binding pattern to be installed- basswood, walnut, basswood & mahogany (inside-to-outside). I broke out my heated bender gizmo to do the initial contours for fitting the binding strips to the body. The trick is to not overstress the strips & have them break, before they get glued in. They are soaking overnight to get them pliable. Should be some fun at oh-dark-thirty tomorrow!
Also bought some black acrylic airbrush paint & clear topcoat, 2 kinds of thinners, & cleaner (which is apparently just rubbing alcohol in a small, fancy bottle). Assembled the parts- oil/H2O filter, brass nipple & quick-connector- to connect to my compressor, & still waiting for the airbrush kit to arrive.
BTW, that disaster at the bottom edge of the bowl is not as bad as it looks, really. The binding will sit in the routed channel & will hide all that glarp used to patch the historic bottom trauma. There will still be some old paint showing at the binding border, but it shouldn't be too awful (as I cross my fingers & gaze prayerfully skyward).

Edited by seesquare 2022-01-25 8:47 PM

(binding channel- full view- smaller image.jpg)

(binding channel- bottom- smaller image.jpg)

(binding channel- neck joint- smaller image.jpg)

(binding channel- width- smaller image.jpg)

(binding bender 1- smaller image.jpg)

(binding bender 2- smaller image.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments binding channel- full view- smaller image.jpg (87KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments binding channel- bottom- smaller image.jpg (73KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments binding channel- neck joint- smaller image.jpg (73KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments binding channel- width- smaller image.jpg (78KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments binding bender 1- smaller image.jpg (60KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments binding bender 2- smaller image.jpg (59KB - 0 downloads)
seesquare
Posted 2022-01-26 1:44 PM (#556955 - in reply to #556707)

As planned, got the wooden bindings bent & installed. Will wait a full day before unmasking the mess. I want that glue to be fully set up before yanking the tape off. Then, a bit of careful sanding & leveling, and I can work on shooting the bowl!

(binding taped 1- smaller image.jpg)

(binding taped pattern- smaller image.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments binding taped 1- smaller image.jpg (94KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments binding taped pattern- smaller image.jpg (88KB - 0 downloads)
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2022-01-26 2:50 PM (#556957 - in reply to #556707)

Oooo! Nice binding.
DanSavage
Posted 2022-01-26 5:40 PM (#556958 - in reply to #556957)

The binding looks real purdy...
BCam
Posted 2022-01-26 7:16 PM (#556959 - in reply to #556707)

I continue to be impressed with your work and the fact you don't let any grass grow under your feet. Your progress is inspiring.
seesquare
Posted 2022-01-26 7:48 PM (#556960 - in reply to #556959)

Thanks again, Guys! I am a bit “driven”. I want to get the work done, but I also want to savor the experience. It has been a fairly busy two weeks. I just hope the critter plays well. It certainly will have better structural integrity and appearance. Next update in about 12 hours. I am an early riser.
arumako
Posted 2022-01-26 11:10 PM (#556961 - in reply to #556948)

seesquare - 2022-01-25 10:26 AM
...I have a 4-part wood-strip binding pattern to be installed- basswood, walnut, basswood & mahogany (inside-to-outside). I broke out my heated bender gizmo to do the initial contours for fitting the binding strips to the body. The trick is to not overstress the strips & have them break, before they get glued in. They are soaking overnight to get them pliable. Should be some fun at oh-dark-thirty tomorrow!...

Woohoo! seesquare, you are a man on a mission! Love the understated look of the binding. Hope you don't mind my asking, but how long did you have to wait until the soaked binding was all dried out? I'm assuming you're super-gluing the bindings in place? Again, really nice work!

@LOF - Really appreciate your kindness! Wanted to get some of the Hysol 0151(#?) made famous on the BFLG by Dan just before the pandemic and called Loctite Japan, and they made it very clear with no uncertain terms that licenses to handle dangerous chemicals was needed to import any of their products here. Fortunately many of their super-glues are available now, but specialized products like their epoxies are (for them) not worth applying for the import license. Spray cans are flammable; so no retail outlet can ship directly to Japan - including Stewmac. All one can do is dream and wait (or try local substitute products)!
seesquare
Posted 2022-01-27 6:57 AM (#556962 - in reply to #556707)

Thanks again, Ken. I used Elmer's WoodGlue to secure the wet bindings to the channels. It has worked out well in the past and holds well to the wood tops. The assembly is a bit tricky, as the top & sides of the guitar body have to be dry for the tape to hold. Getting the pieces to line up & lay evenly, initially, is kinda awkward. Like, a third hand would be nice!
As to getting supplies to Japan, are there restrictions on what you may receive privately? I understand the retail thing, due to governmental regulation.

(Elmer- smaller image.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Elmer- smaller image.jpg (78KB - 0 downloads)
seesquare
Posted 2022-01-27 3:54 PM (#556963 - in reply to #556707)

Binding is installed. Looks pretty decent. Never underestimate the power of prayer! "Clean livin' & right thinkin'".
Needed to re-sand the bowl after installing the binding. It looks better, too!

Edited by seesquare 2022-01-27 4:09 PM

(body binding installed- smaller image.jpg)

(binding bottom edge- smaller image.jpg)

(binding bottom- smaller image.jpg)

(sanded bowl after binding- smaller image.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments body binding installed- smaller image.jpg (86KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments binding bottom edge- smaller image.jpg (99KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments binding bottom- smaller image.jpg (88KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments sanded bowl after binding- smaller image.jpg (57KB - 0 downloads)
Love O Fair
Posted 2022-01-27 5:47 PM (#556964 - in reply to #556707)

@seesquare - >>>"Clean livin' & right thinkin'<<<

Well I guess that counts me right out.. but..
I just looked back at photos of the original blue blunder, then back to current photos, and am beaming in pride to be of your association and EQ! Congratulations also on your new toolage acquisition.. and that's a very nifty heater bender gizmo, too! Looks somewhat McMurphy-ish.. like maybe something left over from your behavioral health lab. Did the eBay seller happen to mention if they were the one who painted it? Sure to be bowled over (pun intended) when they see your outcome of actual potential!

Edited by Love O Fair 2022-01-27 5:49 PM
seesquare
Posted 2022-01-28 10:05 AM (#556966 - in reply to #556964)

The instrument was sold by a pawnshop in San Diego. Who knows how many hands it has passed through?! And, thanks again for the positive vibes & compliments. I launch into these fiascoes & fly-by-the-seat-of-my-pants, hoping for a good outcome. "Luck is potential skill".
moody, p.i.
Posted 2022-01-28 10:10 AM (#556967 - in reply to #556707)

May fortune favor the foolish......
seesquare
Posted 2022-01-28 3:03 PM (#556970 - in reply to #556707)

So true, Dear Brother! Once more into the breach, eh wot?
And, it appears the work is grinding to a halt, for a few days. I am awaiting the arrival of the airbrush kit, due in about Thursday, Feb. 3, according to the tracking system. I am also looking for a suitable hardshell case for the refurbished critter. Probably easier to find a kidney donor these days. Just missed one that's headed to Canada, apparently. Has to be a deep-bowl (6-1/2", and 42" inside-length, probably like the ones for Pacemakers. If anyone has some leads or sources, lemme know. I am not buying one from Japan for $450.00! This IS the BFLG, after all.
seesquare
Posted 2022-01-28 5:51 PM (#556971 - in reply to #556970)

A little off-topic, or maybe not. We just had a Guitar Center open up here (Yakima, WA). It's a full-size, well-stocked store, with teaching facilities. I hope they do well, as we had limited retailing & music services over the past 20 years. Didn't ask about luthiery services. They might have a large case I could use for this project. Figure there is about a 250K population in a 50-mile radius to support their venture. Well, that's capitalism, I guess.
And, not a single Ovation, Celebrity, or Applause in the whole joint. Merde!

Edited by seesquare 2022-01-28 5:54 PM
2wheeldrummer
Posted 2022-01-28 7:47 PM (#556972 - in reply to #556707)

Al Pepiak at lost art vintage has used ovation cases,the brown one should be a good fit
http://www.lostartvintage.com/Categorys.aspx?categoryid=11&category...

seesquare
Posted 2022-01-29 5:58 AM (#556973 - in reply to #556972)

Geez, thanks 2WD! I was not sure Al had any more cases. I will give him a call!
2wheeldrummer
Posted 2022-01-29 1:31 PM (#556974 - in reply to #556973)

seesquare - 2022-01-29 5:58 AM

Geez, thanks 2WD! I was not sure Al had any more cases. I will give him a call!

Your Welcome,Al's probably your best shot for a period correct case,
I saw one on feebay the other day but it looked like as much of a project as the guitar LOL
Love your work just been watching the progress from the sidelines

Jump to page : < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Now viewing page 4 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)