The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Ovation Guitars really don't get the respect they deserve!" - Alex Pepiak

Jump to page : 123
Now viewing page 3 [25 messages per page]
'74 1115-1 Pacemaker Restoration

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Member Communities -> Bottom Feeding Luthiery GuildMessage format

arumako
Posted 2023-03-13 11:21 AM (#558151 - in reply to #558150)
Subject: Re: '74 1115-1 Pacemaker Restoration

Love O Fair - 2023-03-12 3:11 PM

...is the rod made of all-thread, or only threaded on the adjustment end?

Hey Al! The old classic single rod TR is threaded on the adjustment end only. They usually say "Fxxxxr" or "Gibson" because all classic single rod TRs regardless of your guitar brand were basically based on one or the other back in the day. My 1115-1 and many Os from the 60s and 70s use the "Gibson" style TR. Quite a brilliant and simple design really. Here's a YT video of a Luthier named Michael Wilson. He makes a Gibson style truss rod from scratch. The Ovation rod has a much more robust welded stop piece than the one built in this video. At 2:41 he shows a real medical X-ray shot of a truss rod inside of a neck. Pretty cool stuff! 

You'll notice in the video that he cuts a pretty lengthy thread at the end of the truss rod. A lot of it is cut off in the final adjustment, but there's usually some extra thread on the rod that is hidden under the TR cavity. That's what I'm hoping for with this 1115. If there is more thread hidden in the TR cavity, that will give my barrel nut enough to grab onto.

Oh, and like a big dummy I missed the most obvious and most important dimension that differentiates a 10-32 nut from an M5! It's the diameter! Duh! So the feeling that an M5 nut was a bit loose on a 10-32 bolt was not my imagination! An M5 bolt has a 5mm diameter while a 10-32 has a 3/16 in. (4.76 mm) diameter. That means my M5 barrel nut will fit over the 10-32 truss rod threads with a bit of play and may not be snug enough for this application... not sure how I'm going to find a 10-32 barrel nut in Japan. Everything is metric over here! Gotta spend more time researching! Perseverance shall win the day! Well, one of these days - eventually...

Edited by arumako 2023-03-13 11:23 AM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
seesquare
Posted 2023-03-13 5:00 PM (#558152 - in reply to #558151)

How long does it take for overseas mail- like California to Japan? Someone could send you a dozen 10-32's for peanuts, I'm sure. Maybe not the most expedient solution, but it is an option.
2wheeldrummer
Posted 2023-03-13 5:39 PM (#558153 - in reply to #558060)

Ken is this the right size/design https://www.amazon.com/Barrel-Bolt-10-32-18-8-PK5/dp/B01M0HBGTT
I'm with seesquare I'm sure we can find whatever you need and send you a care package

Love O Fair
Posted 2023-03-14 2:24 AM (#558154 - in reply to #558060)

Thanks for the video link, Ken. Dang.. just when I had refreshed coffee and settled in for the cutting of the groove, it ended. I'll have to go find Part II for that since I would like to see how much clearance he puts between the rod, the neck wood and the fingerboard. I have always pictured it as fairly loose (say 2mm all around), and hence wondered if all-thread may have been the cost-effective way of producing guitars.. and also to calculate in my mind's foggy eye how much the rod gives working forbearance into free space before actually contacting wood with pressure at any given section of the rod (especially at #82). I guess that may be splitting hairs, and I realize this is a place where the well-seasoned come to dwell, and not necessarily classroom, so I thank y'all for putting up with me.. and if anybody wants to know the techs and stats of an ice skate or a chili relleno, let me know. Now back to your 1115.
DetlefMichel
Posted 2023-03-17 10:39 AM (#558164 - in reply to #558060)

Trussrod screws are -sorry- steel-made assholes.
Always make trouble, I have a very bad minded example in my Adamas 12 string which tried to destroy the back of the headstock exactly like this.
I would try to use a piece of Aluminium, it will not break like woods and is is still a bit formable when is has to withstand the pressure of the washers.

arumako
Posted 2023-03-17 11:24 AM (#558165 - in reply to #558153)

seesquare - 2023-03-13 7:00 AM
...Someone could send you a dozen 10-32's for peanuts, I'm sure. Maybe not the most expedient solution, but it is an option.

2wheeldrummer - 2023-03-13 7:39 AM
Ken is this the right size/design https://www.amazon.com/Barrel-Bolt-10-32-18-8-PK5/dp/B01M0HBGTT
I'm with seesquare I'm sure we can find whatever you need and send you a care package

Thanks a bunch Seesquare and Twowheel (that's the one)! OFC folks are just the best! Domo Arigato!
Found out yesterday that my daughter is returning from college to Japan for the summer! I'm gonna order the fasteners I need from McMaster-Carr along with more Hysol 9462 and 0151 (per Dan's amazing projects)...maybe even spring for the Stewmac tools and have my daughter hand carry them to Japan! Should be able to continue with this project again in May! Woohoo!

@Al - you've got me craving chilli relleno! Harder to get in Japan than 10/32 threaded barrel nuts!

@Detlef - My 12-string's "steel-made asshole" just snapped; and now I need a new nut for my "steel-made asshole!" Sorry! Couldn't resist!

Thread to be continued in May!
seesquare
Posted 2023-03-17 3:14 PM (#558166 - in reply to #558165)

Things generally work out. That's tremendous your daughter will be able to resupply the operation! Tough thing about rellenos is getting the right type & size of chiles. Our friends in SoCal are usually replete about July or August. Getting produce to you through the inspections process might be a bit tricky, though.
Anyrate, keep us posted. I will try to entertain the populace in the meantime with my creations.
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 3 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)