The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "There are more love songs than anything else. If songs could make you do something we'd all love one another." -Frank Zappa

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Balladeer Deluxe 1117-4 confusion

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> General PostingMessage format

tdcoursey
Posted 2023-06-25 12:13 AM (#558380)
Subject: Balladeer Deluxe 1117-4 confusion

Greetings OFC,
I've had a few Ovations over the years from the 80s and 90s sold them all and looking to get another roundback but something older and cool.
Stumbled across this possible gem at my local shop and can't quite sort it out.
Based on research from the forums I think it's a 1970 Balladeer Deluxe with winged bridge.
But it's serial number E242 doesn't line up with the posted serial number guides.
Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
tdcoursey
Posted 2023-06-25 12:15 AM (#558381 - in reply to #558380)
Subject: RE: Balladeer Deluxe 1117-4 confusion

Trying to figure out posting pics
tdcoursey
Posted 2023-06-25 12:24 AM (#558382 - in reply to #558380)
Subject: Re: Balladeer Deluxe 1117-4 confusion

Link to pics
https://photos.app.goo.gl/aTevJUWAbLXACvk59
tdcoursey
Posted 2023-06-26 10:01 AM (#558384 - in reply to #558380)

Hoping this works for posting PICS (Rich Text Editor Mode and I guess HAVE to use Photobucket)

Also hoping having pics will help get some comments and kungfu from the experts :-)

Original Post - Greetings OFC,

I've had a few Ovations over the years from the 80s and 90s sold them all and looking to get another roundback but something older and cool.
Stumbled across this possible gem at my local shop and can't quite sort it out.
Based on research from the forums I think it's a 1970 Balladeer Deluxe with winged bridge.
But it's serial number E242 doesn't line up with the posted serial number guides.
Any thoughts?

On this pic below notice the "shims" on a couple of the nut slots...I've never seen this. Run away or is it OK?

Mr. Ovation
Posted 2023-06-26 10:14 AM (#558385 - in reply to #558380)

Hello and welcome. In this Welcome Center, you have to use an external host for photos. You can upload to the site once you're a full member.... now POOF you're a full member And you may have noticed I moved your post to the General Forum so others may answer. (Only a few can post in the Welcome Center). Welcome. I'm sure you'll get lots of feedback on this gem. !!
moody, p.i.
Posted 2023-06-26 12:59 PM (#558386 - in reply to #558380)

You have a very interesting guitar. Built maybe 1969, it is a transition guitar from the K1117 Deluxe Balladeer (which is what it was called) to the 1117 Legend. Only built for a short period of time (1969-1970), it is a very early textured bowl. Here's a link to the Ovation 1970 catalog so you can read about it http://ovationtribute.com/Catalogues/60s%20Catalog/60s%20catalog.ht...

How much does the store want for it? The top of that guitar looks remarkable for a guitar over 50 years old.....
tdcoursey
Posted 2023-06-26 2:57 PM (#558387 - in reply to #558386)

Moody I am going to look at the guitar again either this eve or tomorrow Tuesday the 27th.
I think they had it marked $599 but I don't remember if it included original case.
Not sure where that lands in the good deal spectrum.
I am surprised old Ovations don't bring more that that.
I bet if this was a Martin or Gibson (I have both) it'd be more :-)

I'll do a much more thorough exam this time and take more pics.
For me the hunt and the learning is as much fun as the acquiring.

Thanks All!

moody, p.i.
Posted 2023-06-26 4:11 PM (#558388 - in reply to #558380)

Keep us posted. I'd consider that (if it's as good as the pics) a good price.....
Love O Fair
Posted 2023-06-26 10:33 PM (#558389 - in reply to #558380)

Heck yes.. just for the sake of it being a transition-era build from such a narrow time slot I would snag it up for that price, especially if it's in as good of shape as the photos depict and plays with decent action and intonation. The age of the top is no doubt seasoned to a rich and stable tone. The nut shims are interesting. They do not appear as if they were to repair any type of drastic damage or anything of such.. though it would seem doubtful in my mind that the factory would have sent a new guitar out with something like that as original.. but who knows. How is the fingerboard surface and fret wear? If you decide against it, please let us know the location.
tdcoursey
Posted 2023-06-27 9:35 AM (#558390 - in reply to #558380)

More to the story and more pics!
- It is on consignment asking price $699.
- I offered $500 on the spot before more research to see where they were
- Counter offer was meet in middle at $600 I said I needed to think.
- Old Ovation case is included but it's a mess, guitar won't even fit in case. Case was black. Beat up looking the plush fabric was matted down hard and latches stiff.
Store guy agreed it doesn't seem like you could safely close the case without damaging the guitar. Odd that the guitar is in such good shape.
We concluded if that was original case guitar was never kept in case but in a well temp room and the case was kept in attic our somewhere less desirable.

More about guitar:
Tuners - they seem newer, they are Ovation branded but let me know, maybe they are correct.
Neck - Plays great low action no buzzing held tune under Capo use and various playing styles.
Sound - rings out clear and decent low end, sounds like an Ovation :-)
Top - I could not find any flaws other than a tiny bump indent size of grain of rice.  No cracks or nothing. No lifting at the bridge.
Nut shims - Look in the pics but I am guessing they did this because two of the string slots in the nut were "worn out loose" and they didn't want to replace the whole nut.  Pretty good job.
Crack - You'll see in pic I did find one spot on the neck up by the headstock that is cracking. It looks like a finish crack and I can barely feel it.
Maybe Crack - On the heel there are two lines one on each side of the heel that I can't tell if they are actual cracks or just grain in the wood.  I could not feel them at all even with fingernail.
OK so what do you think?  Factor in just the guitar the case isn't counting.  I am not buying it as investment or to make money but I don't want to buy something that's not worth paying price.
I value the age condition and "cool" factor. If I don't grab it I will reply back with the store location number and name of shop keeper.
Thanks Team OFC!
Here's the neck crack and are these good tuners?

Below two pics show the heel possible crack?  ZERO feel to it though so maybe it's just the wood?

seesquare
Posted 2023-06-27 1:54 PM (#558391 - in reply to #558390)

I'm always loose with other peoples' money. I say buy it. That does look like a crack in the finish by the nut, and I would get that nut replaced, no-matter-what. The grain structure in the heel looks fairly benign- doesn't look the usual cracks in the finish or wood. That critter is in remarkably good shape for its age. And, best of luck with securing a vintage case. Those things are costing half of what the guitar does, and probably harder to find, to boot.
tdcoursey
Posted 2023-06-27 1:59 PM (#558392 - in reply to #558391)

Thanks SeeSquare funny about spending other's money :-)

Yeah old cases seem proud if they are in good shape!

I'll let everyone know what I do
Patch
Posted 2023-06-27 3:25 PM (#558394 - in reply to #558380)

That's a cool find!

I dunno if it helps or not, but if you're near the Hudson Valley, I might have a decent case I can let go for a for a decent price; not vintage mind you, but in good quality shape. (Shipping is crazy anymore isn't it?)

Either way, I'm as curious as the others regarding what comes of this one.

Love O Fair
Posted 2023-06-27 6:39 PM (#558397 - in reply to #558380)

From the neck photos I have to back-peddle on the nut shims not being to compensate damage. Pretty obvious now for their reason. The heel crack looks not-so-ominous, barely even there, but it seems pretty clear that the guitar at one point in its life took a hit/fall on the neck. Once string tension is released the headstock crack may tell a different story. Any indication of glue in there? Everything else looks fantastic for its age since it plays and sounds well, and still worth the $600.. unless, of course, you can get them back to your $500 offer.

PS: Maybe the case can be soaked and reshaped. I believe that somewhere in the archives is a thread about doing that.

Edited by Love O Fair 2023-06-27 7:02 PM
FlySig
Posted 2023-06-28 8:35 AM (#558398 - in reply to #558380)

The closeup of the headstock crack worries me. I'd look at it with good magnification like a jeweler's loupe. Maybe it is just a finish crack. If it is a wood crack it can be glued. But it would effect value.

The nut might be a homemade attempt at intonation correction. Look at Buzz Feiten on the web. A more classic nut repair for worn slots would be to fill the slot with powder and super glue, the file a fresh slot.

My opinion is if the tone is good and it feels comfortable to play, it is worth the $600. Cases are nominally worth $75 to $100 of the purchase price. In the grand scheme of things the price is in the ballpark and a great value. If the instrument calls to you, buy it! Unless you're trying to flip for profit when every penny counts.
tpa
Posted 2023-06-28 4:13 PM (#558399 - in reply to #558380)

Is that a glue seam between the neck heel and the bowl? Has the top been refinished? The bridge saddle sits low but the action looks a bit high. I would probably pass. It coukd be a nice player but I am quite sure that such imperfections would keep nagging me.
Standingovation
Posted 2023-06-28 8:12 PM (#558400 - in reply to #558380)

It's an interesting guitar but if it was me I would pass. There are other 70's Ovations out there with less potential issues. Look for an old A-braced Legend.
moody, p.i.
Posted 2023-06-29 5:18 PM (#558405 - in reply to #558380)

Maybe that's what he did......
tpa
Posted 2023-06-29 5:31 PM (#558406 - in reply to #558384)

You can also make an album for storage of the relevant photos here. Click "Albums" on the blue main menu line, second from the right to go there.
tdcoursey
Posted 2023-07-03 10:26 AM (#558429 - in reply to #558380)

Final Chapter! End to the story.
Recap - Boy meets guitar, boy falls for guitar, boy realizes guitar has been married 7 times and engaged 3.

Boy did not buy the guitar.

Guitar plays well and very interesting but too many oddities that I don't know enough about Ovation yet.
Thank you ALL for the schooling and advice.
And yes I DID end up finding a very nice example of a 70s from a club member. Will UPS EVER get here!

The guitar we've been analyzing is at South Austin Music if anyone happens by to check it out.
Great little shop you never know what you'll find in there.
1402 S Lamar Blvd, Austin, TX 78704
Phone: (512) 448-4992

One last piece of info that helped me say NO.
I had noticed but didn't really snap until my last inspection to the individual "shims" on the SADDLE for each string.
If you look closely in the pic you'll see 6 little chiclet size pieces of some material that support the strings.
It appears that most if not all of the chiclets support the string entirely and the saddle isn't touched / transferring sound at all.
I've never seen that before. Odd that the guitar still played OK and sounded decent but there got to be a reason they did that and I don't want to be the guinea pig.

Thanks All!

Love O Fair
Posted 2023-07-03 5:39 PM (#558431 - in reply to #558380)

Indeed, as the plot thickened the story waned. Cover vs. book, and I'd bet we've all read one or more of those sagas over time. So what did you end up getting??
moody, p.i.
Posted 2023-07-04 2:09 PM (#558434 - in reply to #558380)

There's enough about that guitar that would get me to look twice and enough about it to make me walk away.......
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)