The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Jazz... isn't that just a series of mistakes disguised as musical composition?” - David St. Hubbins of Spinal Tap

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
CBG "O"-satz

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Member Communities -> Bottom Feeding Luthiery GuildMessage format

seesquare
Posted 2023-06-29 3:49 PM (#558404)
Subject: CBG "O"-satz

Thought we might need something new in the ol' BFLG, and as homage to OMA, "keepin' it weird":

Edited by seesquare 2023-06-29 4:07 PM

(OCBG 1- back view- smaller image.jpg)

(OCBG 1 body- smaller image.jpg)

(OCBG 1- smaller image.jpg)

(OCBG 1peghead- smaller image.jpg)

(OCBG Rough assembly- side view 1- smaller image.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments OCBG 1- back view- smaller image.jpg (73KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments OCBG 1 body- smaller image.jpg (74KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments OCBG 1- smaller image.jpg (78KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments OCBG 1peghead- smaller image.jpg (76KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments OCBG Rough assembly- side view 1- smaller image.jpg (29KB - 0 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Love O Fair
Posted 2023-06-29 5:33 PM (#558407 - in reply to #558404)
Subject: Re: CBG "O"-satz

As usual.. I want it.
seesquare
Posted 2023-06-29 9:23 PM (#558413 - in reply to #558404)

Thanks for the props! It may be available, at some point. I really need to put more holes in the top. It just doesn't look right with no breathing orifices. And, it has not-one-but-two piezo disc sensors in the mix. Goes straight to the output jack. Pretty amazing when the signal gets overdriven.
numbfingers
Posted 2023-06-30 2:29 PM (#558420 - in reply to #558413)

To make it more Arthurian, you could paint it with a black and red reverse burst.
seesquare
Posted 2023-07-01 7:31 AM (#558423 - in reply to #558404)
Subject: RE: CBG "O"-satz

Thanks Steve, but I have never been much of a sunburst fan, sun-up or sun-down. Frankly, it's too much work & I like seeing the woodgrain too much. In more disclosure, here's what the innards are:

(Bowl Ribs & painted bowl- smaller image.jpg)

(lower unit 1- smaller image.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Bowl Ribs & painted bowl- smaller image.jpg (90KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments lower unit 1- smaller image.jpg (78KB - 0 downloads)
Love O Fair
Posted 2023-07-02 12:30 AM (#558425 - in reply to #558404)

Where did the bowl come from? Did you make it? And I'm lost on the "O-satz". Is that its name? Am I missing something that should be obvious? And the neck. What? Where? You're killing me. Details! We need details! Otherwise I will have to report you.

Edited by Love O Fair 2023-07-02 12:36 AM
seesquare
Posted 2023-07-02 9:19 AM (#558426 - in reply to #558425)

Essentially, I shrunk the dimensions & outline of a parabolic bowl, then constructed a skeleton of the bowl, like I was building an airplane wing. Covered it with thin cardboard, then smoothed the contours using Durham's Wood Putty. Took multiple coats & sanding to get the final shape & surface. Notched the center ribs for the neck extension. The 1-1/2-inch neck has a half-inch-thick oak "spine" and a slotted maple fretboard. The scarf joint on the peghead is covered by some burlwood veneer. The top is 1/4-inch cedar with the bridge secured through into the neck extension. There is a piezo disc between the top and neck extension and another piezo disc under the neck extension. On the bottom-side of the neck extension are 2 coil strings (different gauges & lengths) to act as resonators. No truss rod, but the instrument only has 3 strings, anyway. Fat fretwire to make sure I got the frets level. Intonation took a bit of ingenuity. Apparently, I got the bridge planted a trifle long, so I made that little "compensator". Fretmarker dots were made from a black fiberglass tube with a white solid-rod fiberglass "dowel" inserted. Cut the assembly into about a dozen 3/16-inch sections, then glued them into the drilled fretboard, then sanded flat, before the fretwires were installed.
As to the name, "O-satz" is a play on "ersatz". That moniker seemed fitting, given all the compromises & accommodations involved in its creation.
So, enough detail? Or, would you like to know about the probable 50 hours it took to build it? Or the number of band-aids & burn cream?
Love O Fair
Posted 2023-07-02 6:26 PM (#558427 - in reply to #558404)

@seesquare - "So, enough detail?"

Oh, my. Yes. Plenty. The sub-ersatz luthier in me is incredibly appeased. Thank you!! The saddle compensator part is where I paused and made snacks because I knew the fret marker part was going to be the spellbinding crescendo. And it was. Much like a kid visiting a planetarium with dreams of becoming an astronaut. If I tried to do what you do my rocket would explode before I even got it stood up on the pad, so thank you for the enlightening ride! Quite enjoyable.. and I will gladly donate to the band-aid and burn cream fund for future missions.
seesquare
Posted 2023-07-03 8:09 AM (#558428 - in reply to #558427)

@LOF- "Quite enjoyable.. and I will gladly donate to the band-aid and burn cream fund for future missions."
And maybe the ibuprofen supply from stooping over this contraption all those hours.
So, in conclusion, as they say in Tinsel Town, "That's a wrap!"
seesquare
Posted 2023-07-21 6:55 AM (#558487 - in reply to #558428)

Update- selling the collection (3 CBG's) on the Ol' Fleabag. Need to make some space.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/166236133520
seesquare
Posted 2023-07-27 2:52 PM (#558507 - in reply to #558487)

Lotta trolling, but no bites. Reduced the starting bid for the next cycle & see if I get "fish-on".
seesquare
Posted 2023-08-10 8:28 AM (#558523 - in reply to #558507)

Critters sold to a guy only 150 miles from me. Should save on bundle on shipping, anyway. They have found a new home. That's what is important. Pressing on with herd culling. I think the Matrix is next. The Scarecrow is still on the auction block.
seesquare
Posted 2023-09-30 8:25 AM (#558697 - in reply to #558523)

Scarecrow & Matrix finally sold. The shipping of instruments is getting pretty pricey. Ended up disassembling the necks to stuff into smaller boxes to facilitate the sales. Got screwed by Ebay fees, but at least they give you a break on parcel shipping costs. On to other endeavors, stay tuned.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)