The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "There are more love songs than anything else. If songs could make you do something we'd all love one another." -Frank Zappa

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Looper pedal recommendations?

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> General PostingMessage format

FlySig
Posted 2023-08-07 9:12 AM (#558520)
Subject: Looper pedal recommendations?

Which are decent for live performance? Something that can have several layers added, and can be started and stopped several times. Not tricky to use.

Is tap tempo necessary? A hinderance?

That is the sum total of my knowledge of loopers. What do I need to know when shopping?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
guitarwannabee
Posted 2023-08-16 11:18 PM (#558534 - in reply to #558520)
Subject: RE: Looper pedal recommendations?

hey flysig i remember years ago damon67 did a post or answered one about using loopers and posted a video of him using one at a show . it was very interesting in how he just starts with one sound and plays it back and keeps adding and playing different loops over and over until he basically has a song going on with just his looper overdubs or at least that is what my old foggy brain remembered.

i haven't seen a post from him in many years but he still has a website if you look him up on this site.

i am sure you must remember him.

good luck on getting one and let me know what you think of the one one you get .

if you find a very easy one to use please let us know.. GWB
FlySig
Posted 2023-08-17 7:49 AM (#558535 - in reply to #558520)
Subject: Re: Looper pedal recommendations?

Thanks, gwb. I am Facebook friends with Damon.

I've ordered a Boss RC-5 after much research. It is really difficult to cut through the marketing spoo and generalized descriptions to figure out the differences. Even the user manuals are vague these days. Hopefully the learning curve on this pedal is short!

I have a yard party in October and tgere is a particular song which I think a looper would work well for. We'll see!
tpa
Posted 2023-08-17 3:54 PM (#558536 - in reply to #558520)

I have the RC-3 which I use mainly for rehearsing. It seems to be a good pedal. I have nothing to compare it to, though.
It took a little before I learned the stomp timing. Only thing I wish it had would be ability to receive drum programs as MIDI or something like that.

Edited by tpa 2023-08-17 3:59 PM
guitarwannabee
Posted 2023-09-14 10:49 PM (#558604 - in reply to #558520)
Subject: RE: Looper pedal recommendations?

hey flysig how's it going with the new looper ? after your post i got the urge to get one myself so i will bore you with my story about the looper i bought.

i didn't want to spend much money on one because i am the kind of person that the chances are after a few days of having certain things the novelty wears off fast.
so i bought this very inexpensive looper to try one out.

holy s#$! the first night that i got that thing it kept me up most of the night trying to lay down some background music so i could mess a bit with playing some electric guitars leads that i haven't done for 50 years or so and man did it show. after learning the looper and hours of trying to lay down tracks to play to i then realized how bad i sounded when i played it back and listened to myself . it was hilarious to me , i was cracking up.
it was like the first time i did a skype with a friend , when we saw each others face live on a computer screen and heard each other talking it took us a half an hour to quit laughing about this new live video thing.
so after my laughter subsided i realized how great of a tool this unit was for making you a better guitar player .
i couldn't believe how this made me realize how bad my timing is off on playing songs that i thought i had down pretty good.this is definitely a tool that i am not going to get bored with right away and i think it can help me start playing much better by being able to listen to what i don't do well and maybe soon i will be able to lay down a decent recording of me,myself & i playing a complete song.

sorry for the long story but tell us about your new looper and how is it working out for you. GWB
FlySig
Posted 2023-09-15 8:42 AM (#558605 - in reply to #558520)

I honestly haven't spent a lot of time with it yet. Life is kind of crazy! We are suddenly moving across town. Long story short, a realtor friend had an out of state buyer looking for a property like ours who made us an offer we couldn't refuse. Take the money and run!!

Anyhow, the RC-5 has a moderately big learning curve. Getting it running for just a basic loop is fairly simple. It would be easier were I 14 yrs old! It has the now typical useless user manual for complicated electronics. YouTube has a couple of decent videos on practical how-to, but lots of useless videos to sort through before finding those gems. There is a lot of functionality stuffed into a little box with a little screen. Once I really understand how to use it I will get good benefit from it.

I've had fun with the drum tracks and putting down a backing bass or rhythm track to play over. Putting together something suitable for public performance is a lot harder than it looks.

The good news is our next house will have a dedicated guitar/music room. I'll be able to keep all my equipment set up for instant use.
Love O Fair
Posted 2023-09-15 5:20 PM (#558607 - in reply to #558520)

@FlySig - >>>out of state buyer<<<

Dang... when I lived there the population of the entire state was less than a million.

Didn't you guys just move into that house? It seems I recall photos of a humidor case being humped up the path to the porch. So congratulations on the acquisition of instant access to your gear. I have to wonder how many pieces of music have ever drifted out of mind and are gone forever simply because I 'couldn't be bothered' to set up.

Edited by Love O Fair 2023-09-15 5:21 PM
FlySig
Posted 2023-09-16 8:21 AM (#558610 - in reply to #558607)

Lol, yeah that beast will have to be humped back down the stairs!

Our zip code is only 30% full time occupied residences. The rest are vacation homes rarely used or nightly vrbo rentals. Most of those vacation homes are enormous and crazy stupid $$$$$$, owned by out of state tech or entertainment bazillionaires.

Migration was a thing already from California and Austin, TX but the pandemic supercharged it.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)