The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Ovation Guitars really don't get the respect they deserve!" - Alex Pepiak

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Trigger Finger in my trigger finger

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> General PostingMessage format

moody, p.i.
Posted 2023-08-10 12:35 PM (#558524)
Subject: Trigger Finger in my trigger finger

Got a physical issue and I want to put it out there to see if it rings a bell and what others have done.
My trigger finger (left index finger) has a mild form of trigger finger. I can play but when I straighten it out, it pops and after a while, becomes sore. I've had a cortizone shot and it didn't solve the problem. Anybody have this and fixed it (short of surgery)?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Patch
Posted 2023-08-11 12:57 PM (#558526 - in reply to #558524)
Subject: RE: Trigger Finger in my trigger finger

For some people, trigger finger is handled by cortisone. My brother is that kind of person. He has had several shots over his years as a handyman and kept on working the whole time.

Other people find cortisone to be pretty much useless. That would be me. I have had surgeries to repair four fingers and a thumb! Each one started with getting a shot that simply didn't do the trick.

If it goes that way for you, the surgery is pretty common and straightforward. (One of my surgeons described it as a "chip shot".) Recuperation for me was reasonably swift, and the fingers have worked fine ever since.

Here's hoping you can get it squared away. Trigger finger can range from mildly annoying to downright disabling! Hopefully, yours is on the lesser end of that scale.

Love O Fair
Posted 2023-08-11 8:37 PM (#558527 - in reply to #558524)
Subject: Re: Trigger Finger in my trigger finger

My wife had the issue about 20 years ago, and found that if she backhands me instead of a palm slapping, it corrected the problem. It was either that, or the surgery, that fixed it. Cortisone didn't work very well for her, either, (only for a few days) and it kept flinging out the injection holes and onto my clothes. It seems that the surgery was relatively minor and healed in a few weeks. No problems since then. She stopped breaking the yolks when flipping fried eggs, and the palm slaps returned to normal, too.

PS: I was just on the phone with her (tying to keep my distance) and asked her about it, and she said that her problem was in both the center knuckle and the back (wrist end) joints of her finger, and that the surgery was on both of those joints.. so it may have been be different than classic "trigger finger". Which knuckle is it affecting your hand?

Edited by Love O Fair 2023-08-11 9:05 PM
seesquare
Posted 2023-08-11 8:44 PM (#558528 - in reply to #558527)

Might be more popular with physical therapists than psychotherapists. Sorry Paul, I got nothin'. Haven't used my trigger finger for over 25 years.
Guitsome
Posted 2023-08-12 7:46 AM (#558529 - in reply to #558524)

Paul, get the surgical procedure done. It’s quick, painless, but most of all, effective. Pain mitigation is immediate. You’ll be playing the guitar the day they/you remove the bandage. Golfing 2 weeks after the procedure. Oh, and the fix is The Fix. It’s permanent. You’re waisting your time with the cortisone.

The procedure takes about 5 minutes with local anesthesia/pain killer. Heck, you’re gonna spend more time in the recovery room munching on crackers and sipping lemonade!

Ask me how I know.
Right hand - 6 months ago.
Left hand - 14 months ago.

I think any post surgery discomfort is the result of atrophy from not using the finger properly. (It doesn’t take long.) Even the finger/hand muscles need to regain their strength.

Good luck to ya!

MWoody
Posted 2023-08-12 9:28 AM (#558530 - in reply to #558524)

Getting old isn't easy...
Hope it all works out!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)