The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "It's much too late to do anything about rock & roll now ..." - Jerry Garcia / Grateful Dead

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Discovering Ovation World

View previous thread :: View next thread
   The Ovation Fan Club -> Welcome CenterMessage format

Chad-45
Posted 2023-09-05 4:42 PM (#558572)
Subject: Discovering Ovation World

Hello everyone, and Slange Var from Bonnie Scotland. Although I acquired (!) an old ovation around 30 years ago, I've only recently started researching it, and realising what an interesting sub-set of guitars ovation is, considering, to a newbie! there appears to be 2 distinct innovations, the roundback and the weird sound-holes/cool electrics...
feel free to shoot me down for such wash(burn)ed out comments, I'm A-braced for you guys/gals over the pond demanding respect, I know how strong 'made in the USA' is to dem 'good ol' bhoys'....... We in the UK should be following their example, IMHO, especially since leaving the EU. Sorry, politics....broken the manifesto already. The whole Red/Blue thing is really divisive in the US, I understand. We don't care, really, enough issues with religion.
Back to the music(ish): I play acoustic fingerstyle, Scottish and Irish Folk, slanting towards the Glasgow Celtic Fitba Club, since my great granda was part of they whole immigration fiasco.....and my Granda (RIP Paddy) was the quintessential 'Irish rogue' coming over here, taking our jobs, stealing oor wimen...!!!
THE JOB: (A Plater for Babcock on the Clyde Ships, top job.... Interestingly, maybe, he left behind a collection of songs, poems, workman's banter chants, etc that may be of interest for songwriting material...? to someone. It was tradition at that time, for everyone to have a 'party-piece' at hand when visiting houses at the weekend. They made their own entertainment, a song, a dance, a battle reenactment, whatever, Paddy was an amazing whistler, best I ever heard live, well, the only one I ever heard whistle in that style, out of style now, for sure. Also my parents moved away before I was born, ye see, that warballing, melodic whistle is an ecco from a life I sadly-missed. My Dad trained on the clyde shipyards as a Turner, became a union rep/shop steward, and paved the way for the next gen of rampant caFlicks to follow on....
Instead, we moved to the only Scottish villiage to have 2 orange bands, and are known for painting their curbstones red/white/blue: Well, he married a McKay, who's tartan is the only one we lay claim to rightfully wear. Gran was THE most scottish woman i knew, dripping in tartan, with an impressive repertoire of scottish songs and jiggs for those key party-piece moments. That must have really wound up those restless Protestant Natives at the other side of Glasgow, no end.
Coincidently, my Ovation 1979(?) electro(?)Acoustic 6(12?)String Artist-bowl(?) guitar has spent the past......15 years in Gran/Granda's loft, overlooking the Clyde River, I gave it to the family's youngest brother, Uncle Joe RIP, and I'm excited to play it again, in need of inspiration to play, these days.
I have soooo many questions about this guitar, as well as a bunch of tech stuff I didn't realise I didn't know. If someone is patient enough to read through this drivell to this point, your the kinda guy/gal with the patience I like/need.
May I have access to the 'about your guitar' section, I'd like to start a thread, please.
[Hint: There is only one small sticker inside the guitar printed: OVATION 1576XX *XX = two random numbers, no letter prefix/suffix, and the regular Ovation gold writing on the headstock.. No truss-rod cover, no 5-piece neck, dodgy-looking electrics.
157001-203000 manufactured in 1979, but I need more info on the 6-digit series, eg does the same nomenclature system as the 4-digit work?:
1 – most models born before year 2000
5 Acoustic electric cutaway Adamas and II/Elite/Ultra electric
7 Cutaway electric shallow bowl
6 Contemporary Folk Classic
It may be shallow bowl, but deffo no cutaway
From what I can find, the 1576 'model' is a 12-string, this is a 6, with silver m/c heads.
Any educated guessed WTF this is, before I send pics..?
The guitar has always sounded amazing, only refurb has been redressed frets, since they were almost flush in places.
Questions welcome.

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Chad-45
Posted 2023-09-05 4:46 PM (#558573 - in reply to #558572)
Subject: RE: Discovering Ovation World

I just realised I can attach.....
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2023-09-05 7:50 PM (#558575 - in reply to #558572)
Subject: Re: Discovering Ovation World

Welcome Chad. Feel free to post in the General Forums as only a few can post here in the Welcome Center. At least one (probably a few) of our long time members are from your neck of the woods as they say. Again... welcome.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)