The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "There are more love songs than anything else. If songs could make you do something we'd all love one another." -Frank Zappa

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
It Took Twenty Years To Finally Record This Song the Way I Wanted To!

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> General PostingMessage format

Patch
Posted 2023-09-29 4:30 PM (#558693)
Subject: It Took Twenty Years To Finally Record This Song the Way I Wanted To!

Hello everyone!

It's been a while since I created a thread here, I know. Life has taken over the last many years since I made a few calendars, and to be perfectly honest, I don't seem to have as much to say anymore. Go figure?

Still, I have slowly but unsteadily been trying to finish my recording project with the patient help of Matt Smith, who is helping with backing tracks whenever I can afford it. But even he struggled with one sound I badly wanted; a tin whistle. This past summer, I finally found someone to help with that, and at long ... LONG ... last, one of my favorite original songs is pretty much done! It will take one final mix, but that cannot happen until all of the recording is finished and needs to be levelled.

Still, some of you may remember this song from the last of the OFC CD's: Member's Night Out, Vol. 3 - A Day at The Beach. (So very long ago...)

A live recording of me was included in that collection, but it was just me on my guitar then. This version is the way I always heard the song in my mind. So here it is, after over 20 years since it was first written so long ago in Savannah GA! I hope you all like it.

A Small Boat (Based On The Breton Fisherman's Prayer)

Top of the page Bottom of the page
cool66
Posted 2023-10-11 3:54 PM (#558737 - in reply to #558693)
Subject: Re: It Took Twenty Years To Finally Record This Song the Way I Wanted To!

I like it. Thanks for sharing.

FlySig
Posted 2023-10-11 5:21 PM (#558738 - in reply to #558693)
Subject: Re: It Took Twenty Years To Finally Record This Song the Way I Wanted To!

Nice!

Those OFC CDs were really fun.
Love O Fair
Posted 2023-10-11 7:05 PM (#558740 - in reply to #558693)

Very nice, Patch! Such a nagging challenge to match what the mind hears to what the ears hear, and the recording never hides the truth. Congratulations on achieving it!
DetlefMichel
Posted 2023-10-12 5:53 AM (#558741 - in reply to #558693)

Wonderful song. If I close my eyes I feel like sitting on a wet stone near the shore listening to a fisherman with a guitar.

You play with a capo on 2ndfret with D chords.
Did you ever try to tune the E string one step down to D when you play in D? Makes the guitar sound even a bit fundamental. You have a nice playing style, give it a try.

I would use my doubleneck and tune the 12string with DADGAD for the Verses and the 6string with the dropped E string for the choruses ;-) but I have to admit that I´m an open tuning nerd.

Mark in Boise
Posted 2023-10-12 9:13 AM (#558742 - in reply to #558693)

Nice. That was one of my favorites from the OFC DVDs.
MWoody
Posted 2023-10-12 12:02 PM (#558743 - in reply to #558693)

Never give up!
Keep making beautiful art!
Patch
Posted 2023-10-15 4:03 PM (#558756 - in reply to #558693)
Subject: RE: It Took Twenty Years To Finally Record This Song the Way I Wanted To!

Thanks everyone. One always wonders how one's music holds up. I admit, I was taken aback when I realized that song was over 20 years old now! That means some of my original music is pushing 40! It is absolutely surreal!

And DETLEFMICHEL; I also love open tunings and used to use open-D, open-G, and even open-E now and then. But one of my favorite songs for Drop-D is Danny Boy. That low D adds a whole new dimension to that song.

stonebobbo
Posted 2023-10-20 9:24 AM (#558784 - in reply to #558693)

Hey Patch, great job! I remember the original (which was awesome to start with!) and I love how you’ve layered this. Fantastic!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)