The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "It's much too late to do anything about rock & roll now ..." - Jerry Garcia / Grateful Dead

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Balladeer rattling after string change

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> General PostingMessage format

aacx22
Posted 2023-10-13 10:04 PM (#558744)
Subject: Balladeer rattling after string change

It's kind of weird. I am going to try to record it and see if I can catch it. But at least in my ear I hear a rattle now, when I play chords on my Balladeer. Do I just need a heavier gauge of string or something? It had been a while since I changed my strings and I did notice while doing it the white plastic bridge seemed pretty loose. I just ignored it figuring the strings are holding it down anyway. Maybe that could be suspect #2.

Ok, I'll see if I can catch the sound now.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
aacx22
Posted 2023-10-13 10:19 PM (#558745 - in reply to #558744)
Subject: RE: Balladeer rattling after string change

https://whyp.it/tracks/130287/rattle-at?token=T4XIh

or

https://whyp.it/tracks/130286/rattle-shure?token=bNFin

It sounds more clear to me in open air, but I can hear it a bit here, just strumming some chords. I did strum a bit hard to try to capture it.
DetlefMichel
Posted 2023-11-11 6:10 AM (#558813 - in reply to #558744)
Subject: Re: Balladeer rattling after string change

I must say that I don´t hear anything unusual.
1.Fresh strings always sound more crisp.That´s normal.
2.Every acoustic guitar wirh a comfortable action starts to "overdrive" when played hard, that´s what we use to emphasize single notes in blues solos...
3. If you still have noise when you play softer check the neck relief, if the neck is too straight it may cause such problems. Loose strings and then loose the trussrod screw about 1/8 round, not more, and you will be fine.
4. Other reasons can be single frets with fretwear, wrong string action, and after all if you play hard try to use your pick with the right angle, parallel to the strings, this will also change a lot.
4. Heavier gauges are not so good for guitar tops.
5.If you still hear noises with open strings played soft check ALL screws on your guitar, if they are tight.
FlySig
Posted 2023-11-11 5:36 PM (#558814 - in reply to #558744)

Rattling inside an Ovation is frequently a wire touching the inside of the body. Reach in and gently move each wire away from the body, and check if there are little stand-offs adhered to the body that the wires should run through. Sometimes a standoff will fall off or the wire will detach from it.

I can't see how the saddle itself could be a problem because of string tension holding it down.

Check the preamp and battery holder to be sure they are not loose.
aacx22
Posted 2023-11-11 7:58 PM (#558815 - in reply to #558813)

DetlefMichel - 2023-11-11 4:10 AM

I must say that I don´t hear anything unusual.
1.Fresh strings always sound more crisp.That´s normal.
2.Every acoustic guitar wirh a comfortable action starts to "overdrive" when played hard, that´s what we use to emphasize single notes in blues solos...
3. If you still have noise when you play softer check the neck relief, if the neck is too straight it may cause such problems. Loose strings and then loose the trussrod screw about 1/8 round, not more, and you will be fine.
4. Other reasons can be single frets with fretwear, wrong string action, and after all if you play hard try to use your pick with the right angle, parallel to the strings, this will also change a lot.
4. Heavier gauges are not so good for guitar tops.
5.If you still hear noises with open strings played soft check ALL screws on your guitar, if they are tight.

Thanks for your thoughts. It's hard to describe it... I guess its because its a sound I had not heard before changing the strings, and so to me it was jarring. But it did not record well, so it maybe didn't really project.

What I could hear eventually went away after I played it for an hour or so, maybe the strings had to settle in or maybe just moving it around alot did something. I'm going to still look at the screws too.
aacx22
Posted 2023-11-11 8:03 PM (#558816 - in reply to #558814)

FlySig - 2023-11-11 3:36 PM

Rattling inside an Ovation is frequently a wire touching the inside of the body. Reach in and gently move each wire away from the body, and check if there are little stand-offs adhered to the body that the wires should run through. Sometimes a standoff will fall off or the wire will detach from it.

I can't see how the saddle itself could be a problem because of string tension holding it down.

Check the preamp and battery holder to be sure they are not loose.

I played it hard for an hour or so, and eventually the rattling sound that was bugging me disappeared. I am not sure what changed, if it was the strings or something inside, but thanks for the idea. I'm going to look at that also.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)