The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Got time to breathe, got time for music." --Briscoe Darling.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
What do you like to play your ovation through?

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> General PostingMessage format

aacx22
Posted 2023-11-11 8:15 PM (#558817)
Subject: What do you like to play your ovation through?

I tried a number of acoustic amps, including Peavey (loud hum), Acoustic (Not sure what it was, but it didn't sound right to me), and finally settled on Marshall. I use an AS-50D that has two channels, and play a SM58 through one, and my Ovation Tangent/Balladeer, through the other. Sometimes I'll play one of my Telecasters through it, but when I do, I really miss the rich dynamics of my acoustic guitar.

(ovation and marshall.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments ovation and marshall.jpg (42KB - 0 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Mike S.
Posted 2023-11-11 11:58 PM (#558818 - in reply to #558817)
Subject: Re: What do you like to play your ovation through?

Hello, aacx22,
I play all my guitars, including my Ovation, through my NOS c.1999-2000 CARVIN AG100-D solid-state amp. It's a mini–PA w/ 3 inputs for acoustic and/or electric guitar, bass, and keyboard, and also has an XLR input for a mic to boot. I used it in church for 10 years. I never put it past 2 in church, and yes, it does go up to 10, " because there is no 11!" (SPINAL TAP). It's very loud, at 100 watts, but very clean at the same time. They don't make amps like these anymore.
Mike S.
Ottawa, ON.,
CANADA
Standingovation
Posted 2023-11-12 10:21 AM (#558819 - in reply to #558817)

Nothing.
Weaser P
Posted 2023-11-12 3:59 PM (#558820 - in reply to #558817)

Genz Benz Shenandoah Jr does everything I want to do. Admittedly, I don't actively gig very much and there's definitely different tools for different applications but alone the Jr does a great job. Never had the need to run it through a PA or with an external cabinet but pretty sure it would do a pretty good job at that too. I bought mine off a fellow OFC'er after hearing everyone rave about it and I've never been sorry. Just my .02...
FlySig
Posted 2023-11-12 4:40 PM (#558821 - in reply to #558817)

Great question!

I usually play without any amp. Sometimes I play through headphones if I'm trying to figure out a song. Headphones let me hear the recording better than through speakers.

When I need a lot of amplification I have a Genz Benz Shenandoah Jr. It is a really nice amp. These days, though, it seems most places have a PA system that I end up directly plugged into rather than having my own amp. Luckily every Ovation and Adamas sounds fabulous through a PA!

I have been messing with putting together a pedal board with a compressor, reverb, echo, and looper. I would really like to find a simple stereo gizmo to go from the pedal board to headphones for practice. The wife says she likes hearing me practice, but I feel like I'm imposing on her if I play through an amp loud enough to hear the effects above the natural acoustic volume.

For some small events I use a little Roland AC-33 portable amp. Really small and light, very good sound, and runs on batteries or plugged into the wall. For an electric guitar the amp is quite adequate for a living room jam with other people even though it is an acoustic amp.

I have found that acoustic amps generally need to be at least 60W to sound good, because below that they tend to use small cheap speakers and compromised cabinet designs. The 60W and 100W amps are noticeably better tone than the smaller ones. Each brand of amp has its own sound, too.
Love O Fair
Posted 2023-11-12 11:54 PM (#558822 - in reply to #558817)

The only thing reaching taller than my stack of amps is the dust gathering on the top of it since the act of rattling windows at the studio has largely drifted over my aft horizon. But when the rare occasion arises, I'm typically with FlySig on the headphones part, and that's just with a little Fender 40 watt something that was new a few years ago, is light and easy to move, and has a plethora of effects built in. I guess that getting old also means getting simple and quiet.
mimmo
Posted 2023-11-13 7:06 AM (#558824 - in reply to #558817)

I usually play unplugged, I really like the purely acoustic Ovation/Adamas tone. Whe, I need to plug my guitars in, I like to use my Fender Deluxe Reverb Tone Master. It is not an acoustic amp, I know, but I like it with My Ovation guitars especially on the second channel (low volume).
hwebster
Posted 2023-11-13 8:10 PM (#558826 - in reply to #558817)

Most of the time no amp. I like the Roland AC-90, sweet sound; it has nice effects for acoustics.

Edited by hwebster 2023-11-13 8:11 PM
DetlefMichel
Posted 2023-11-14 5:57 AM (#558827 - in reply to #558817)

Amplified acoustic guitars ...not on my wish list. If a guitar with a cable then a stratocaster with a fender twin amp and all knobs 12 o´clock.
Only for the doubleneck I sometimes use an old German CHROMACHORD PODIUM amp, nice small cube with 5 channels for git and vc with a very natural sound, 90´s technology, I guess I have the last one....
keldon85
Posted 2023-11-15 10:14 AM (#558828 - in reply to #558817)

I normally practice with my acoustic guitars, including my two Ovations, unamplified. If I need more volume, I use my now-old Ultrasound AG-100 DS2. !00W through four 8" speakers with concentric tweeters. Compared to the AG-50, the bass is more pronounced, but it works especially well with nylon string instruments, and is ok with steel strings.
MWoody
Posted 2023-11-15 12:10 PM (#558829 - in reply to #558817)

I wanted to say "Through the din of clattering plates and small talk" but you probably weren't asking for that.

Fender Acoustisonic JR.
johngar
Posted 2023-11-19 4:36 PM (#558834 - in reply to #558817)

Most of the time unamplified .but I do have a fishman loud box performer that is outstanding
aacx22
Posted 2023-11-23 7:27 PM (#558849 - in reply to #558817)

Pretty cool stuff. I like to play unamplified too, but that doesn't work for me when I am playing out. Often I'll play my Yamaha F310P when I am just running around at home through and not recording or practicing seriously because its my bang around guitar. I can't do to my Ovations what I do to that Yamaha, 'cause it would make me sad.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)