The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "It's much too late to do anything about rock & roll now ..." - Jerry Garcia / Grateful Dead

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
o.t. lost my voice

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> General PostingMessage format

guitarwannabee
Posted 2023-11-22 1:13 AM (#558839)
Subject: o.t. lost my voice

just surfing again and saw this and thought how can you still have pipes like this at 80 .
i never was a very good singer but could get away without getting tomatoes thrown at me until i got into my late 30's and then the voice just somehow went to **** and has only gotten to where i can only play my ovation and sing by myself.
the wife pleads with me to just shut the f up and just play guitar.
i just turned 69 and still jamming without singing ( only when she is around )

did any of you finally lose your singing chops at a certain age ? GWB

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnvKgs-wWMM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
seesquare
Posted 2023-11-22 9:00 AM (#558840 - in reply to #558839)
Subject: Re: o.t. lost my voice

If you don't start, you don't have to stop. My story, and I'm stickin' to it!
MWoody
Posted 2023-11-22 9:00 AM (#558841 - in reply to #558839)

At 63 and I think my voice is better or as good as it going to be. As I take this chronological sea cruise I am seeing how aging is a custom shop surprise for each of us.
Good to see Art still enjoying what he does!
d'ovation
Posted 2023-11-22 9:24 AM (#558842 - in reply to #558839)

I started singing in my mid 50s and I sing in a choir, acoustic jams, and perform with ukes. I think that my voice is still getting stronger with practice. But I also had moments when I pushed it too hard and as result was not able to speak for a few hours.
FlySig
Posted 2023-11-22 9:46 AM (#558843 - in reply to #558839)

I've never thought I was a good singer. I started taking lessons this year, and at 63 I am improving a lot. But I do know my vocal chords and hearing are not what they were in the past, so I expect my maximum improvement potential diminishes daily.

My teacher has a very performance based program with frequent public performances. I don't watch the videos after!
Mike S.
Posted 2023-11-22 2:53 PM (#558844 - in reply to #558843)

Hello, Everyone,
As a classically trained operatic tenor in my younger days, I know it is possible to overwork your voice. The vocal cords do wear out if you use them too much. Lady singers such as Dolly Parton, Taylor Swift, The Judds, and Celine Dionne have all had surgery to repair their vocal cords at one point or another. I can't think of any male singers who've had it done at the moment, but maybe Joe Cocker and Bob Dylan might have benefited from the procedure, if they had it done. (My aunt lost her voice for 3 months screaming at my cousin during hockey season a few years back, but that's another story altogether!) Most people mistakenly use their throats, rather than the chest voice and diaphragm to sing, which puts a strain on the vocal cords from the start. It took me at least a year, training every day, to really learn how to sing with my whole body, so as to NOT damage my vocal cords at the time. The male voice range does decrease with age, but it varies from person to person. Keep singing, but just don't overdo it.
Mike S.
Ottawa, ON.,
CANADA
Love O Fair
Posted 2023-11-22 11:00 PM (#558845 - in reply to #558839)

I have historically been a voluntary loner, spending a lot of time silent in daily life, so my voice doesn't get used nearly as much as most people's do; hence, comparing recordings from my 30's to recordings today in my 60's, it's still the same voice. I also found long ago that singing to my own music is the best suited performance since I'm not trying to compare it to others with already-established recordings or familiar works.. so it is what it is.. original. Which is quite fun enough for me since my creative voice work is largely spoken monologue and not music oriented. I do, however, also sometimes enjoy stepping into the booth and putting a popular recording in my ears while I sing along into a separate single track.. then pairing the stand-alone vocal track onto another separate track of my own instrumental work (which I layer into the headphones in real time for the instrument recording-- a somewhat backward process). Then toss in some effects, and it occasionally turns out an interesting cover version. Then sometimes brave enough to mix it all with the original just to see what it would have sounded like if I had been a member of that original act.. 99.9999% of whom are glad I wasn't.

But while we are on the topic of non-singers singing, let's do some trivia. Name any movies you recall that Clint Eastwood ever sang stand-alone vocals for. I can only think of two films where he did that.

Edited by Love O Fair 2023-11-22 11:26 PM
Darkbar
Posted 2023-11-28 4:00 PM (#558857 - in reply to #558839)

At 67, with a nasty disease, my voice ain't anywhere near what it used to be. I think your voice is a "muscle" that needs to be exercised, otherwise it will atrophy like any other muscle. I'm bad about exercising my voice, and go for weeks without singing, then I'm pissed off when I don't sound good.
aacx22
Posted 2023-12-22 12:14 PM (#558921 - in reply to #558839)
Subject: RE: o.t. lost my voice

guitarwannabee - 2023-11-21 11:13 PM

just surfing again and saw this and thought how can you still have pipes like this at 80 .
i never was a very good singer but could get away without getting tomatoes thrown at me until i got into my late 30's and then the voice just somehow went to **** and has only gotten to where i can only play my ovation and sing by myself.
the wife pleads with me to just shut the f up and just play guitar.
i just turned 69 and still jamming without singing ( only when she is around )

did any of you finally lose your singing chops at a certain age ? GWB

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnvKgs-wWMM

I can't lose what I never had... My singing was always rough... like even Bob Dylan would give me the side eye rough... but I just do it anyway. lol
Mark in Boise
Posted 2023-12-22 7:03 PM (#558923 - in reply to #558839)

I used to have a decent range, from bass to soprano (in falsetto). I lost about the top half.
Patch
Posted 2023-12-26 10:06 PM (#558933 - in reply to #558839)

My voice has never recovered from the coughing caused by pulmonary embolisms a couple of years ago. I've defintely lost some top and bottom range, and my breath control is way more limited than it once was. It is a surreal feeling when reaching for a high note and getting nothing but silence as air rushes out of your throat!

Onthe other hand, I'd rather be singing with a limited range than to have ceased singing at all. So I am not complaining in the slightest!

Mr. Ovation
Posted 2023-12-27 11:12 PM (#558936 - in reply to #558839)

I just posted about something about this in my CPAP group.  

Can CPAP Therapy help singers with OSA? I think it can.
I had an experience today that led me to believe that the reason I stopped singing (even just for myself, I used to be in a band) was more because of Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA) than lack of practice. The last band I was in was the 90s when in hindsight we think I probably started suffering the effects of OSA. The two were unrelated, but any time since then when I tried to sing, I really couldn't and it kept getting worse to where I didn't try. Flash to today. My annual Christmas Eve trip to the mall for last-minute baubles and such. I'm cranking the tunes as I do, and "sang along." I actually haven't done this in a long time, but when I did, because I really didn't have the pipes anymore, I would crank the music enough to not actually hear myself. Well, today, I found myself turning the music down to hear my voice because I had several did-I-really-just-hit-that-note moments.
Don't get me wrong, you're not going to hear me on YouTube any time soon, but what I absolutely noticed was that rather than feeling like I was pushing air through a kinked garden hose as I did in the 80s and 90s and anytime since that I tried to sing, today I found myself actually having to use my vocal cords to control the air pushing out. I used to attribute my growing inability to sing to a lack of training, practice, and talent, but I'm wondering if it was the early signs of what turned out to be severe OSA.
It was weird, to say the least. While getting older tends to put some depth and grit on singers' voices, I have yet to know anyone who is 65+ saying that singing got easier and they could now hit notes they couldn't hit in their 20s and 30s.
I was never a "professional" singer per se. I played guitar and often had to sing. I sang on key, but that was about it and I'd scream appropriately use a falsetto, or just skip notes I couldn't hit. Today was different.
I wondered if anyone else has experienced this. Even shower singers, car singers, Karaoke, or maybe we have some pro or amateur singers in the group.

Did CPAP therapy allow you to sing again?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)