The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: “Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything.” -Plato

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Help for a new replacement for my W597-BZ

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> General PostingMessage format

Gadgetman
Posted 2023-12-17 4:23 PM (#558890)
Subject: Help for a new replacement for my W597-BZ

Hi everyone. In 2003 I purchased a W597-BZ Adamas CVT Bronze, and absolutely loved the sound and the looks. I also particularly like the back curve as when you are standing, a light pressure on the body tilts it up towards you so that you can better see the fret board. Unfortunately after a 1-2 years I noticed the fretboard was a little distorted at the body. The shop re-dressed it so that it played, but I was always concerned that it would eventually break.

Eventually in 2016 I purchased a Martin DC-28E as a replacement (keeping the Adams stored away). I didn’t want to admit to myself, but to be honest it wasn’t better. I didn’t like the sound as much, the big body meant it harder to lean over to see the fret board, and the wider neck made it harder to bar chords (I think this is down to the folds in my finger aligning with the strings and causing buzzing). So after 6 years, I got the Adams out the case, and just loved playing it again, plus the fret board concern was no worse, even after 20 years.

So that now leaves me with a Martin that I don’t want (which I will sell), and the thought around whether to get another Adams. This is where I need help, as there are very few dealers in the UK that stock Ovation, and if they do, stock levels are low and zero stock of Adamas’s. My questions are:

1. Is the latest mid-depth body a similar feel to my W597?
2. My current choice in mid-depth would be the U581T. How different to my W597 would this be (feel/sound) as I would be buying this without trying first?
3. Anything else I should be asking myself?

Thank you!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2023-12-17 4:34 PM (#558891 - in reply to #558890)
Subject: Re: Help for a new replacement for my W597-BZ

Hello and welcome.
I have upgraded you to full member and moved this into the General Forum where those more knowledgeable can help you find the answer for your overall questions. You can also use the "Advanced Reply" function to add a picture or two of the redress or maybe even pictures of the "distortion" you mention too.

Welcome.
Gadgetman
Posted 2023-12-17 5:02 PM (#558892 - in reply to #558890)
Subject: RE: Help for a new replacement for my W597-BZ

Photo of fret

(Screenshot 2023-12-17 at 23.03.29.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Screenshot 2023-12-17 at 23.03.29.jpg (22KB - 0 downloads)
FlySig
Posted 2023-12-17 5:43 PM (#558893 - in reply to #558890)

1) The mid bowls are still the same. Any mid bowl will feel the same as your W597.

2) A) The "T" guitars have a different weave in the carbon fiber than your W597. I think you will find it more lively and rich.

2) B) The "T" guitars are great guitars! Their history is originally that they wanted to make a less blingy instrument at a slightly lower price point, and thus they came out with the wood topped "T" models such as 1778T. These were made in USA with a different finish on the front of the guitar, and did not have the skunk-stripe neck. They turned out to be fantastic sounding instruments! One of my daughters has one. Instead of a thick gloss finish they had a textured finish. For a while now the "T" have become "TX" and are made in Asia. And they came out with the U681T Adamas. One of my other daughters has one and it is a truly great guitar. It has the same textured finish as some of the original Adamas and the "T" wood top Ovations. The U681T does have the skunk stripe neck, and it has the deep bowl.

An important aspect is it is 12 frets to the body instead of the usual 14. This moves the bridge further into the larger part of the body and gives it a slightly warmer tone.

So now they've come out with the U581T which has the mid bowl and 12 frets to the body. I have not heard one but this seems like a really good design; mid bowl, 12 frets, textured top. I do have a gloss top Adamas mid bowl with the 12 fret design and it is very warm and rich. It is not chimey nor brash. My wife thinks it is the most beautiful sounding of all my O/A guitars.

As far as being plugged in, I can't directly address the new preamp system. It should sound great, as they have been steadily improving the electronics.

Describing tones or comparing models across the internet is not easy! I think you will find the U581T to be a top notch quality product with a really great sound.
Gadgetman
Posted 2023-12-17 6:40 PM (#558894 - in reply to #558893)

Thank you so much for your detailed and prompt response. I must admit, I havent ever tried a non-cut away before. Typically I dont tend to play much above the 7th fret, but can you tell me in your experience of a 12-fret guitar, what fret can you easily get up to before it starts to get tricky due to the body being in the way?

I prefer the looks of the 2087 range, but I dont like the idea of a bigger bowl on the back, and as I mentioned, I dont really have the opportunity to try one. Have you tried the bigger body and found it any harder to play?
FlySig
Posted 2023-12-17 9:33 PM (#558895 - in reply to #558890)

the 10th fret is about as far as I can comfortably play the non-cutaway with the 12 fret to body neck. In theory the 12th fret is clear of the body but the heel of the neck gets in the way of my hand. Single notes at the 12th and even higher are possible but not fast. Chords above the 10th fret are pretty difficult.

If you play a lot in that 10-14th fret area, I would suggest either the 14 fret neck or a cutaway.

I have a variety of the body styles. The deep and deep contour definitely give the guitar a bigger sound. The mid bowl sounds to me like a typical wood box in terms of fullness. I personally find the regular deep to be easier to play than the mid for some reason. The mid likes to roll skyward more. The contour feels like a square wooden box with no rolling and the same depth as a drednaught.

There is a mid-depth contour bowl now which I have not played nor heard but people say good things about it.

Gadgetman
Posted 2023-12-18 4:56 AM (#558897 - in reply to #558895)

Thank you again for your help. I think I'm going to have to try and get to a dealer. Even though they only have a few Ovations, I can at least test out a few body shapes, which will finally decide which Adamas to go for

Many Thanks
FlySig
Posted 2023-12-18 8:46 AM (#558899 - in reply to #558890)

I suggest you contact red blanket guitars. He is a life long O/A fan who became a dealer, and he stocks a lot of O and A. If you are near Seattle you could go to his shop and try a bunch.

Where are you located? There could be a member here nearby.
MWoody
Posted 2023-12-18 10:11 AM (#558901 - in reply to #558890)

Have you taken it to a Luthier for an evaluation? Based solely on the one photo my guess is that it can be repaired.

This is where having a network of Ovation Nerds/Fans and finding out who lives near you to try other guitars can pay off.
Gadgetman
Posted 2023-12-18 10:53 AM (#558902 - in reply to #558899)

I'm in the UK, so dealers are thin on the ground
Gadgetman
Posted 2023-12-18 10:58 AM (#558903 - in reply to #558901)

When it was first redressed, it became playable, and has been fine for 20 years now, I suspect as Ovations are not widespread here, finding a Luther that will touch an Adamas may be hard, and probably not worth taking a risk.

I'm hoping that 20 years on, a new replacement will sound hopefully better, then I will still have the W597 as a backup, or more likely one I can have out in the living room to just grab and play when the mood suits. And of course, who on this Forum doesn't have more guitars than they really need ??

Edited by Gadgetman 2023-12-18 10:59 AM
Love O Fair
Posted 2023-12-18 7:30 PM (#558905 - in reply to #558890)

@Gadgetman - >>> who on this Forum doesn't have more guitars than they really need ??<<<

I would wager a bet on that number as zero. Seems we've all tried the 12-step program at one point or another, and it further seems that we have all failed.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)