The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "I've always felt that blues, rock 'n' roll and country are just about a beat apart."-Waylon Jennings

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
12 string bracing

View previous thread :: View next thread
   The Ovation Fan Club -> Welcome CenterMessage format

Nordicnorm
Posted 2010-06-18 1:58 AM (#3253)
Subject: 12 string bracing

In Jan this year, I bought a 1985 Collectors 12 in th SoCal desert. A real beauty. Discovered later that two braces below the bridge have let go. The top had lifted very slightly . Is there a history here, or just the dry desert climate at work? My luthier, who runs a school for guitarbuilding in my area is suggesting "improving" the bracing. I would like to repair the original set-up as long as I know it is good, rather than changing it and maybe running the risk of losing sound quality. I trust his work, but I trust the OFC's accumulated wisdom even more.
Hovard
Top of the page Bottom of the page
twistedlim
Posted 2010-06-18 11:51 AM (#3254 - in reply to #3253)
Subject: Re: 12 string bracing

I would not think you would have to "improve" the bracing on an Ovation 12 string. I would think just re-glueing would do. It might be the climate or just the fact that it is a 25 year old guitar that needs a bit of TLC.
Nordicnorm
Posted 2010-06-18 1:36 PM (#3255 - in reply to #3253)

Thanks Rich. You are pointing me in the right direction, and I really appreciate your quick response. Restoring the original braces will keep the guitar original, and also save me some $$.

Hovard
Patch
Posted 2010-06-18 3:02 PM (#3256 - in reply to #3253)

Hiya Hovard!

Your guitar is 25 years old now. During that time, Ovation has likely made thousands of USA-made 12-string, Elite-style guitars; the VAST majority of which have had no bracing issues. This leads me to believe that there is nothing structurally wrong with the design.

Add to that the fact that Ovation is known for some of the best-sounding, best-playing 12-strings on the market, and I can't help but think to myself, "Why alter something that's already working great?"

I'm with Rich on this one. If you liked it before you noticed the loose bracing, put it back the way it was, because the way it was is pretty special to begin with.

BTW folks!

Hovard is the lucky (VERY LUCKY :rolleyes: ) winner of my recent auction for the '05 Collector's. With this post, it seems to me that he's jumping into Ovation wonderland with both feet.

Welcome again! :D :cool:
Nordicnorm
Posted 2010-06-18 4:51 PM (#3257 - in reply to #3253)

It is a pleasant surprise that you long time members keep an eye on the welcome page. What you are telling me is what I was hoping to hear, as this guitar sounded amazing when I first played it. I wodered about the shallow bowl, but it really imressed me, and I would be reluctant to change anything. The luthier is on vacation, so I can catch him before he gets going.
Awaiting our new baby with trmbling hands....

Hovard
CGT (Patch knows)
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)