The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Ovation Guitars really don't get the respect they deserve!" - Alex Pepiak

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Hello Ovation fans!

View previous thread :: View next thread
   The Ovation Fan Club -> Welcome CenterMessage format

vincent vega
Posted 2010-03-01 8:37 AM (#3984)
Subject: Hello Ovation fans!

First time poster, long time Ovation owner. Owner of a 1979 Balladeer, straight acoustic six-string with the deep bowl. A lot of guitars have come and gone, but this one's not going anywhere until I'm in the ground! Recently added a used Celebrity A/E six-string, and a used MC148 mandolin. It's the mandolin that's brought me here.

The neck on the mandolin is separating from the body, and I'm weighing my options on getting it fixed.

I've talked to a few local luthiers...one said they would be afraid to touch it, one said the repair might require a refret along with the reset neck, and another turned out to be a arrogant guitar snob who thought all Ovations were crap.

After searching the message boards here, it appears that the most common response to repair questions is to send it back to the factory. So I emailed the factory and their response was: "We do not do repairs here but we have service centers throughout the country. Here is a list of service centers in GA." I called and emailed the one closest to me, but got no response.

Anyway, I'm a novice on mandolin. I got the thing pretty cheap ($200 w/HSC), and I'm not really interested in investing a lot of money to get if fixed, so I'm considering trying to do it myself. There's about a 1/16" gap between the neck and body at the heel. After taking the strings off, the gap closed a little, but it's still there. I can pull back on the neck, while holding the body tightly, and the joint closes up part of the way. It's not a bolt-on neck, so I'm thinking it might be as simple as re-glueing the neck.

Can anyone tell me what kind of glue would be best for something like this? Epoxy? Rhino glue? Also, I cannot see any way to clamp the neck joint, so I'm thinking...lay the guitar face down, maybe raised slightly with supports under the nut and the bridge, shoot some glue into the gap, and apply pressure (weight) on back of the body until the joint is closed tight, then let the glue set.

I'd appreciate any and all feedback from anyone here. And I know, a picture is worth a thousand words...I'll try to get some pics up later.

Thanks in advance for your help.

BTW...I'm going to go ahead and post this on the General MB also.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
bauerhillboy
Posted 2010-03-01 2:43 PM (#3985 - in reply to #3984)
Subject: Re: Hello Ovation fans!

Welcome Vincent! I don't exactly have the answer to your question, but I have had a similar experience with a Celebrity Mando

A friend of mine got one for $200 : ), and the bridge slowly pulled off. Since I had this OFC connection to the factory, I offered to help. I already knew that the factory service dept. only does work on US-made Ovations, but I called Kim and begged him to have a look. I paid shipping both ways. Kim sent it back with a repair estimate in the case. It basically said they would re-attach the bridge and "set up as possible" for $200.

Herein lies the dilemma: If you pay $1500 for a guitar(or mando), you'd be inclined to pay that kind of money for a repair. At a price point/quality level like the imported Ovations it is rarely worth the cost of the repair.

A labor of love, however, is a worthwhile endevour! I wish you well in you efforts to restore your mando to good health.

John <>{
Slipkid
Posted 2010-03-01 6:21 PM (#3986 - in reply to #3984)

Mr. Vega...
You are good to go on the main board.
Mandolin repair is not talked about often here, but we have members who like to get their hands dirty.
Gallerinski
Posted 2010-03-02 1:01 AM (#3987 - in reply to #3984)

I would try the method you suggested and use some 2 part epoxy. But I would not hold my breath. Either now, or in the future, you will come to the conclusion that it's just not worth fixing. Good luck.
James 1537
Posted 2010-03-02 5:12 PM (#3988 - in reply to #3984)

Hello all! First time posting. I need help. I have a 1537 sunburst thats in 99% condition. Can someone please give my a ball park value of my guitar. Looks like it will have to find a new home soon, and I have no clue of the value to date. Any help will be great.

James
Texas
MWoody
Posted 2010-03-02 5:26 PM (#3989 - in reply to #3984)

Hi James,

Can you repost this in a separate topic so we can give you a separate answer?? ;)
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)