The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now." - Jol Dantzig

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
cs257 neck relief?

View previous thread :: View next thread
   The Ovation Fan Club -> Welcome CenterMessage format

feralfrailer
Posted 2010-02-26 8:51 AM (#4013)
Subject: cs257 neck relief?

howdy from Arizona
this is my first post
i just acquired a used Ovation Cebebrity Deluxe 257cs. I REALLY want to like this guitar, it's beautiful, but...
i seem to have a bit of a different problem than the common complaint of most other Ovation owners.
the action on my guitar is NOT too high, in fact according to the online manual it's perfect!
the problem is, despite this perfect action, the guitar just feels too stiff.
i replaced the Martin light strings that were on it with D'Addario EXP16's and this improved the feel somewhat.
i'm just not getting that open "ring" that i'm used to with other acoustic guitars and "spring" or vibration in the action.
my suspicion is that i need some relief in the neck.
the neck is "perfectly" straight (call me crazy) but given my background with other acoustics it seems that there should be a slight amount of bow or relief in the neck to accommodate a more comfortable feel, but... i don't want to spoil the action. not to mention it takes a specialized tool to adjust the truss rod.
any suggestions?
thanks in advance for any and all constructive feedback.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Mark in Boise
Posted 2010-02-26 10:35 AM (#4014 - in reply to #4013)
Subject: Re: cs257 neck relief?

The "specialized tool" is just an allen wrench. I forgot the size. Make sure you know how to check the relief first and then try it 1/4 turn. If you're reading the manual, you probably know that you can remove shims to get the action lower.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)