The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Jazz... isn't that just a series of mistakes disguised as musical composition?” - David St. Hubbins of Spinal Tap

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
New Ovation Owner

View previous thread :: View next thread
   The Ovation Fan Club -> Welcome CenterMessage format

brianh
Posted 2010-02-04 12:51 AM (#4247)
Subject: New Ovation Owner

I just wanted to say hello and thank you all for this resource. I recently decided to learn to play the guitar, and ended up getting a new ovation. Being an engineer and a musician (trumpet), I was drawn to the story of Charlie Kaman and figured an Ovation would be a fine guitar to learn with. I've been reading the forums for a few days and have come across lots of useful information. As I'm sure someone will ask, here are a few pics...

http://www.jaymemorris.com/ovation

One question -- I purchased this guitar online and it just arrived today. The spruce top seems a bit wavy, for lack of a better word. Are the tops on ovations usually flat, or slightly arched? I think this one was drop shipped from a KMC warehouse, so I have no idea what kind of environment it has been living in. Could it need a bit of humidification? I probably need to manage the moisture anyway since the winter leads to dry interior air here in the midwest. Also, if anyone has suggestions for a beginner, I'd love to hear them.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Mark in Boise
Posted 2010-02-04 10:53 AM (#4248 - in reply to #4247)
Subject: Re: New Ovation Owner

Welcome, Brian. Wavy tops are common on used guitars, but I'm not sure about new ones. The lack of humidity is a real possibility. The Midwest is pretty humid, but if the furnace has been running a lot, it could be much lower than the recommended 45-55%.
Search this site for humidity or similar words. It's a topic that comes up most winters.
stephent28
Posted 2010-02-04 11:11 AM (#4249 - in reply to #4247)

Couldn't tell anything from the photos.

Can you take better pics showing the areas you consider "wavy"?

Welcome to the OFC.
MWoody
Posted 2010-02-04 11:15 AM (#4250 - in reply to #4247)

Brian, welcome!

If you are not satisfied with the instrument I would return it. The design of all of the Ovations, Celebrities and Applause guitars should be an even, slightly rounded up top.

This one looks to be a Celebrity and you may be able to get a used USA Model for the same amount.
brianh
Posted 2010-02-05 10:36 AM (#4251 - in reply to #4247)

Thanks for the suggestions. It actually looks just fine now after sitting for a few days. It had only been inside for a couple of hours when I first looked at it, and had probably been in a cold fedex truck for days. I imagine solid tops react more to changes than laminated.

Yes, it's a celebrity, and I did consider looking for a good used model, but I found a good deal on this higher-end celebrity (is that an oxymoron?) and went for it. Its the CSE24 with a solid top and the OP30 preamp. I think it sounds pretty good and has a nice low action. It should do me well while I learn. All I can say with any credibility is that it sure plays differently than my trumpets! I would love a 2010 2078LE-AS, but probably couldn't justify that to the family.

One more question -- what is the difference between this CSE24 and the AX Balladeers? From the specs, the Balladeer gets the OP-PRO and maybe a slightly higher-graded top. Is that it?
Dale Lutes
Posted 2010-02-05 5:55 PM (#4252 - in reply to #4247)

Welcome aboard, Brian. Where in KS do you hail from?
brianh
Posted 2010-02-06 1:22 AM (#4253 - in reply to #4247)

Home of the Wildcats...
standing
Posted 2010-02-06 12:04 PM (#4254 - in reply to #4247)

Welcome brianh,

For future reference; you should always give a guitar that has been shipped in freezing weather sufficient time to acclimate before opening the shipping carton. A sudden defrost can potentially cause cracks in the top or other problems.

As a point of reference, Rickenbacker prints right on their shipping cartons that the box should be left at room temperature, unopened, for 48 hours if it has been exposed to freezing temperatures during shipping.

Just a couple of hours is probably not enough in mid-winter in Kansas. You want the entire guitar to _slowly_ warm up. If you want more information, do a search here on the forum, the subject comes up every winter.

Fortunately, it sounds like yours settled down nicely, so it worked out fine. Just a word of advice for your next one…

…and if you hang around here very long, there WILL be a next one, probably sooner than you think… ;)

You have a nice guitar to learn on, good luck with it, and keep us posted on your progress.
Mark in Boise
Posted 2010-02-06 12:18 PM (#4255 - in reply to #4247)

Kansas State graduating class of 1975 here. Go Wildcats. Welcome Brian.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)