The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: “Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything.” -Plato

Jump to page : 12
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Gals and YOUR Guitar habit

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2008Message format

dobro
Posted 2008-12-27 2:02 PM (#4959)
Subject: Gals and YOUR Guitar habit

How has it been for you? Does the gal in your life (girlfriend/wife) like your music and support you or is it a hot spot of contention? Does she like the same music you do and enjoy listening to you play? Does she cooperate in other aspects of the guitar habit? Tell the truth!

PS In my case, the same music, yes. But support runs a bit dry when it comes to band practice and gigs. She says she likes to hear me play, but I suspect she'd rather listen to something else (after 25 years).
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Trader Jim
Posted 2008-12-27 2:42 PM (#4960 - in reply to #4959)
Subject: Re: Gals and YOUR Guitar habit

Oddly enough, my wife likes to hear me play the drums, but not the guitar. If you ever heard me play guitar, you would understand. I guess since she likes the drums, that makes her a non-musician. :D
PEZ
Posted 2008-12-27 3:15 PM (#4961 - in reply to #4959)

Hard to know I assume the stay because of
they like it because my ego needs it. In General I trade GF's like
Jim trades guitars.
Joe Rotax
Posted 2008-12-27 3:40 PM (#4962 - in reply to #4959)

My wife used to play classical guitar but doesn't anymore. Won't pick up a guitar at all now and says it would take too much work to get back into it.

We have similar tastes with respect to classical music but she doesn't like the rougher music that I sometimes listen to. For example, if I start playing 32-20 Blues her instant response is George! NO!!

She likes some of the finger picking stuff that I compose myself but gets sick of listening to me play the same thing over and over for hours while I sort it out or practice - which is understandable, I wouldn't want to listen to it that long either if I wasn't playing it.
G8r
Posted 2008-12-27 3:51 PM (#4963 - in reply to #4959)

If it wasn't for SWMBO's support I wouldn't have the fine guitars (and finer friends on this board) that I now have.
CanterburyStrings
Posted 2008-12-27 4:17 PM (#4964 - in reply to #4959)

Sorry, I know you were asking the guys, but I just had to get in on this. As most of you know, I've been married three times, and also had a few "semi-long-term" relationships. When I was with guitarists, we played different types of music and it caused a problem. Whenever one of us wanted to play, the other would think "good idea", but we could never play together. With my last ex, we just went into seperate rooms, but as we both wanted to play pretty much constantly, we didn't spend much time together.

When I was with non-musicians, it caused an even bigger problem. They wanted to do other stuff and got tired of me always "plunkin' on that d-----guitar". It also cause jealousy problems when I was in bands with (gasp!) MEN!

I'm alone now, and I think it's going to stay that way. I do what I want, when I want, and there's no one around to try making me feel guilty. I'm happier than I've ever been.
dobro
Posted 2008-12-27 4:24 PM (#4965 - in reply to #4959)

Amazing Cant. I have heard the guitar-jealousy story before. One wife even sneered at her ex that he would go off to have "guitar sex" with his bandmates (men, of course), or that the guitar was his "mistress"!
stonebobbo
Posted 2008-12-27 5:03 PM (#4966 - in reply to #4959)

Kimby-D is my biggest fan. Very early in our marriage it became a me or music ultimatum. I chose the right path. Now she regrets her jealous demand. But we're not looking back on what could have been; we're looking forward to what will be. If something's right, it will come in time. Our time is coming. I'm glad it'll be with her.
Jewel's Mom a/k/a Joisey Goil #1
Posted 2008-12-27 5:19 PM (#4967 - in reply to #4959)

If there were ever 180 degrees of difference in music, it was us. Me, classically-trained clarinetist, then Christian rock band. He, guitar-banjo-mando-fiddle bluegrass and old timey country. I intensely disliked the "through-the-adenoids" singing, he didn't like opera or rock. Finally, 5 years before he died, I began to come around, little by little--took up mando at his request, started to play guitar with his group of friends. Glad I did it before it was too late, because it saved me a whole lifetime of regrets.
I'm like Ali--single right now, and doing the music I love to do (To be fair, Jack was really supportive of my worship leading, though, and that was never an issue.) I do miss having someone to come and listen to me play; I really miss the husbandly feedback (good and bad.)

--Karen

--Karen
TAFKAR
Posted 2008-12-27 5:32 PM (#4968 - in reply to #4959)

SWMBO and I have tried to play together but with limited success. However, this is not so much due to difference in musical tastes but differences along the perfectionist/It'll-be-alright-on-the-night scale. She is at the former end, having played classical piano up to 8th grade and I'm at the latter end, having belted around on the guitar with friends and in church (where you just keep going whatever happens).

As a result, if she makes a mistake (no matter how minor) the perfectionist in her wants to stop and go back, so we never get to go through the whole piece together - or by the time we do, I'm sick of that piece and want to play something else. Also, rhythm is the weak point for both of us, so we both tend to wander out of time a bit.
MaxBaud
Posted 2008-12-27 6:43 PM (#4969 - in reply to #4959)

Well truth to tell :) I am tone deaf and can not carry a tune to save my life, so the wife runs for cover when I pick up the guitar! :) LOL !!!

But I am enjoying re-learnning to play again.
Steve A
Posted 2008-12-27 7:01 PM (#4970 - in reply to #4959)

My wife and I actually got together because of the guitar. She was asked to sing at a wedding and asked me to play the guitar while she sang. That was so much fun we started playing and singing and ended up gigging together. Love bloomed and 31 years lster we still play and sing together. (OK, she sings I make joyful noises which are usually only useful for keeping the tempo). Infact, in one week we will be performing at my youngest daughters wedding. We will be doing a great love song by Steven Curtis Chapman called "I Will Be Here".
We like alot of the same kinds of music but I have a liking for harder rock that she does.
God bless,
Steve
moody, p.i.
Posted 2008-12-27 7:30 PM (#4971 - in reply to #4959)

I can't count the number of times I've seranaded my wife in the evening or that she's encouraged me to get a guitar that I felt like I shouldn't spend the money on, or hosted parties for my guitar playing buddies at my house. For Christmas she got me a Moody Leather guitar strap (maybe the world's best straps and most expensive!) for a guitar I have coming back from the factory.

She's wonderful.....
Beal
Posted 2008-12-27 7:45 PM (#4972 - in reply to #4959)

She tolerates it.
lanaki
Posted 2008-12-27 7:57 PM (#4973 - in reply to #4959)

the woman who is now my wife walked in to a venue i was playing music at. our eyes and hearts met at that instant. there was an informal sing-a-long with several friends after the show where we played and sang until the wee hours of the morning. the next evening, she and i performed a song together for the function. not long after we married, she surprised me with an adamas 1688 and has continuously encouraged my music since. we only disagree about one flavor of music; jazz, which i like and she doesn't. other than that, she now accompanies me with her ukulele and we are learning more songs together. she can sing like an angel and my voice is going through some major challenges so i am content to accompany her vocals.
stephent28
Posted 2008-12-27 8:19 PM (#4974 - in reply to #4959)

We met through music and it continues to be our common bond after 33 years!
We agree on about 80% of what we consider good music.

Currently working on some new tunes for her to sing that I can harmonize on over the holidays!
Fridave
Posted 2008-12-28 8:28 AM (#4975 - in reply to #4959)

My girlfriend always wants to hear me play. She encourages me to buy the guitars and equipment I think would be useful, and to play whenever I can. We like the same type of music. I try to get her to sing along or do backing vocal tracks, but she doesn't like the way she sounds so she is reluctant to do so. She is working on her percussive rythym so she can join in with a tambourine, cowbell, wood block or shakers. Practice, practice, practice, and it's more fun with her. And of course I look a hell of a lot better with her standing next to me!

Designzilla
Posted 2008-12-28 9:01 AM (#4976 - in reply to #4959)

I met my wife decades ago at a band practice session. The first thing I remember hearing her say to me was "I like the way you move your fingers" when we finished a song. She was very innocent back then and didn't mean it the way I took it, but she has liked to hear me play ever since then.

The only reason I got back into playing guitar after about about a dozen years off, was because of her encouragement. She said it would be a much needed stress reliever in my life, and boy was she right.

She has talked me into buying a bunch of guitars, that I would never have gotten without her blessing and encouragement.

Amazingly enough, she still seems to like to hear me play. As far as musical tastes go - we agree about 60% of the time. She has a fairly low tolerance for blues, which I love, and she doesn't like some of the heavy metal or prog that is my "guilty pleasure" music. But we do enjoy a lot of the same music.

She is my oldest and best friend. I am a very lucky guy!
gulfcoast
Posted 2008-12-28 10:24 AM (#4977 - in reply to #4959)

Like Trader Jim my wife likes to hear me play drums but never had much intrest in my guitar playing. What intrest she had she lost after folling me around to gigs for 20 years. Funny thing is most the the girls i dated i met doing something with music. My wife knew i had been into music but only heard me play around the house for the first year or so. Then i took a job with a working artist and our life changed from all our time just me and her to all our time crowded in a van and later a bus with a bunch of other people. She liked the travel, i hate it. I like the time on stage , she was bored with the music after a couple years of it. Now she gos sometimes to hear me, mostly when its out of town and somewhere she likes to go anyway.
fillhixx
Posted 2008-12-28 12:31 PM (#4978 - in reply to #4959)

Originally posted by The Artist (FKA Richard): if she makes a mistake (no matter
how minor) the perfectionist in her wants to stop and go back, [/QB]
Tell her all that happens when you do this is that you're rehearsing your mistakes.
Good music is not about how well you play, it's how well you play your mistakes.

My wife didn't know I played when we met. This was in the middle of a period
I put down the guitar 'forever' and three guitars were hidden in the back of a closet.

She wants me to play more and bought me a training program for Christmas
that I absently said; "That looks interesting." as we passed a music store. The only thing
she's not wildly supportive of is GAS, though another good guitar that definitely
does something new is acceptable....if saved for.
Captain Lovehandles
Posted 2008-12-28 2:57 PM (#4979 - in reply to #4959)

My wife likes music and we share some artists we like, but when it comes to my guitar playing, or guitar (or OFC) talk, she has NO imterest.

And Designzilla, I also like the way you move your fingers.

Beal. I can tolerate you too.

Steve A, great story! Good luck at the wedding. I'm afraid I'd cry too much to sing that at my daughter's wedding.

Jas
bvince
Posted 2008-12-28 3:25 PM (#4980 - in reply to #4959)

OK ... My name is Bryan ... and I'm a Guitar-a-holic. My wife "tolerates" the guitar purchasing within limits. For the longest time she didn't even know how many guitars I had, since I stuck mainly with Ovations and they had simular cases. I would stash them in different places and would NEVER put them all in one place. The gig was up one day when she was cleaning the house and decided to take a count out of curiosity. After a couple heated discussions about finances and priorities, I devised a plan ... Which I called "Scale down and Trade UP". I gradually went from 13 guitars down to 8 and ended up with much higher-quality instruments. As far as she was concerned, the number has decreased to nearly half of what I had, and I told her from here on out I'd only do one out/one in. She is not a musician, and she doesn't like to spend money on herself either, but at least she has listened to the speech about the differences in guitars and the reason for having different ones for different purposes. I think she has just accepted the fact that I only have two real vices ... Guitars and Guns, and she is probably happy that I don't spend my time out smokin', drinkin', and carousin'. (hey ... that sounds like it could be a song)
alpep
Posted 2008-12-28 6:20 PM (#4981 - in reply to #4959)

sue plays bass.....and I have a business......
so it is much easier for me to indulge
BT717
Posted 2008-12-28 6:21 PM (#4982 - in reply to #4959)

Originally posted by Fridave:
My girlfriend always wants to hear me play. She encourages me to buy the guitars and equipment I think would be useful, and to play whenever I can. We like the same type of music. I try to get her to sing along or do backing vocal tracks, but she doesn't like the way she sounds so she is reluctant to do so. She is working on her percussive rythym so she can join in with a tambourine, cowbell, wood block or shakers. Practice, practice, practice, and it's more fun with her. And of course I look a hell of a lot better with her standing next to me!

Actually Fridave, As she is MUCH better looking then you............. ;)
gulfcoast
Posted 2008-12-28 7:06 PM (#4983 - in reply to #4959)

Pretty girl, i think i could write a song about her.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)