The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "I've always felt that blues, rock 'n' roll and country are just about a beat apart."-Waylon Jennings

Jump to page : 12
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Rip Van Winkle

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2008Message format

standing
Posted 2008-12-23 3:50 AM (#5393)
Subject: Rip Van Winkle

First post, be gentle…

I feel like I have been asleep for the 30 or so years since I bought my beloved Ovation Standard Balladeer (1112) which I still own. (I have a couple of non-Ovation electric solid bodies, but that's kind of off-topic here, I guess.) Anyway I have only recently started to play with the old passion again, and that brought out my long-standing desire to obtain an Ovation 12-string for when I have that jingle jangle feeling.

I made the mistake of just wandering into my local GC, and was kind of disappointed with the sound/quality of the only Ovation 12 string they had (a Celebrity). I asked one of the helpful staff why they didn't carry more Ovations, and he said, "we cleared them all out real cheap a few months ago, I don't even know if they still make 'em. We were selling Adamas's for $600.00 to get rid of 'em." (I now know that was probably hogwash.)

So that, and a few other music store expeditions began my internet search for the truth. www.ovationguitars.com was somewhat reassuring, they did, in fact, appear to be still "makin' 'em" but I found it difficult to find the information I was looking for. (I emailed them to that effect.) It was particularly disturbing to select a model, and click on any of the many links to "buy now" to find that the model is listed at a retailer as either "out-of-stock," "unavailable" or, more often, "discontinued." Why were the current models listed on Ovation's site appearing as "discontinued" on the retailers sites that they themselves linked to? I was baffled.

Then I said to myself: "self, this makes no sense… Of all the acoustic guitars I've played, none offered the overall sound, versatility and playability of my trusty Ovation." Besides, I saw, with my own eyes, Al DiMeola playing Ovation/Adamas' on the Return To Forever reunion tour this year, maybe he bought them all? (I obviously have been out of the loop too long ;-)

At long last, I found this oasis of insanity. I spent a couple days lurking around, catching up on old threads, etc. It is sure nice to know that there are others who love these guitars as much as I do.

So, here I am, and here are a few questions/observations:

Asia: There seems to be much discussion about the "outsourcing" of some production of some (maybe all?) models of Ovation guitars. No one who really knows seems to be talking, although there have been some informed guesses. Is it true that the previously USA models that are now produced overseas carry an "AX" designation? If I find an identical model number with an "LX," is that a leftover USA model?

Adamas: I also see that many of you are pretty serious Adamas collectors, I love reading about your acquisitions, but you are out of my league (unfortunately.)

Electronics: I don't remember if you could even buy a factory-installed pickup back when I bought my Balladeer, let alone a pre-amp. I am intrigued by the electronics that seem to be pretty much standard in the newer models. The interchangeability with the new iDea is pretty cool. Does anyone think the iDea will be offered in a wider range of future models? (It seems frivolous to spend an extra $300 just to yank the electronics from a new guitar in a couple of months.) Somewhere in my wandering here, I recall someone saying that a new line is beginning production soon. When do they introduce such lines, is that usually an annual thing? (Again, sorry for the newbie questions, I haven't followed the guitar industry very closely this century.)

So, back to my original quest for a 12-string, I'd probably be happy with the price/performance of a 12-string Balladeer, but it appears that the new ones may be produced overseas, and I'm uncomfortable with that, right or wrong. I would personally prefer to find a "made in USA" 12 string Ovation. I know, many of you are quite happy with the Celebrities/etc. but I just didn't think the one I played had the richness of sound, nor the comfortable feel that my old Balladeer has.

So, I am open to suggestions from you sage bowl-heads. I think I'd like to find a new or used 12 string, deep bowl, cutaway, newer electronics (with tuner) that are interchangeable with the iDea, USA made. I want this to play, not display, so visual appeal is less important to me than aural appeal. Is it possible to find such a guitar for less than $1,000? I found a used Legend 12-string for $800 with older (op-24?) electronics. OK condition, but It looked suspiciously retrofitted, there were 3-inch long black plastic rods jutting into the inside to hold the pre-amp in place. Does that pre-amp setup sound Kosher, or more like a frankenvation? Is that a reasonable price for an older Legend?

Thanks for being here, sorry if I have used up all of my available posting space in one long message…

-standing-
(I can't believe no-one took that name before ;-)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
AussieJames
Posted 2008-12-23 4:15 AM (#5394 - in reply to #5393)
Subject: Re: Rip Van Winkle

We do have a "Standingovation"

Welcome

AJ
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2008-12-23 4:15 AM (#5395 - in reply to #5393)

Welcome Standing. [Standing Ovation is a Name here... Wonder where he went :confused: ]

Yes $600 Adamas is a Dream... But $600 Elite T's and Balladeers were a Reality.
Balladeers and Elites will be made in rice-land. Anything with an AX designation is imported.
Rumors have been moving around that they don't make Ovations, or that they all are going overseas...
Coming from people who didn't know the difference between an Adamas and a Celebrity those rumors are pretty meaningless.
The new iDea pre-amp does cost abit, but you can directly swap-it-out with the OP-Pro... So you would only need one.
Most of the current Ovations come with the OP-Pro nowadays. Unless you want the VIP or OP-Studio.
By the time you get up into that price range, you would be ordering the guitar you want anyway.

And Yes! It is possible to find a nice newer 12-string under $1000... eBarf is full of them.
And it is a buyers' market right now.

BTW- "there were 3-inch long black plastic rods jutting into the inside to hold the pre-amp in place"... The newer pre-amp cans are held-in by a plastic 'toggle' arrangement, so that is what you might have been seeing. I don't know.

But Welcome... Alot of people know alot more than I do... Someone may be able to answer your concerns. (Maybe Standing Ovation, wherever he may be...)
BT717
Posted 2008-12-23 4:33 AM (#5396 - in reply to #5393)

Welcome to our little world of insanity!
Great place with great, knowledgable people.
Like OMA said lots of used Ovations on Ebay, Craigslist and our own "for Sale" section here at some great prices One great thing about buying from a member here, is you can count on the guitar you buy will be in great shape and you will know when you make your decision to buy, that the one shipping it will pack it very well.
You can also contact ALPEP one of our original Members and he will get you what your looking for at a great price.
marenostrum
Posted 2008-12-23 5:40 AM (#5397 - in reply to #5393)

Standing ... welcome to the OFC. As said this is a great place where you will find answers to your quests and hints from long lasting O&A militants, always standing in the forefront... For sale section is a great source of nice guitars. I'm sure you will find the one the fits for you soon ! ;)
Riccardo
Captain Lovehandles
Posted 2008-12-23 5:44 AM (#5398 - in reply to #5393)

Welcome, standing! One thing is sure, with your appreciation of Ovations and your new family here, you'll find what you are looking for eventually.

THE BEST way to learn about them and play the really nice guitars that you can't afford is to attend a jam, so you Texans get in gear and have one.

And I don't think we mind hearing about your solid bodies, just not Taylors, please. We have our standards. :)

Jas
Beal
Posted 2008-12-23 8:43 AM (#5399 - in reply to #5393)

Welcome,
Standing Ovation was here till he got 5004 posts and he morphed into someone else for another 5004 posts and then turned into Gallerinski.
You'll get all the right information here. You're probably better off to buy exactly what you want here. More than likely it will be used but so what, this isa a good crowd to deal with.
Jeff W.
Posted 2008-12-23 9:26 AM (#5400 - in reply to #5393)

Welcome aboard, standing.

I believe there is a Usa 12 string in the forsale section, as we speak. Take a look. Or call Al.pep
FlySig
Posted 2008-12-23 9:33 AM (#5401 - in reply to #5393)

Welcome aboard!

You could try calling Al about a used Adamas. Don't discount the idea of finding a Melissa Etheridge 12 string at the edge of your price range. Right now there are deals that boggle the mind compared to just a few months ago, so you might find something perfect.

Check out ebay, craigslist, guitar center dot com used guitars, daddys, etc.
G8r
Posted 2008-12-23 9:35 AM (#5402 - in reply to #5393)

Welcome, standing. Lots of friendly & knowledgeable people here. You'll get great advice on just about anything you ask. Captain's right about gatherings, they're a great opportunity to play Ovations & Adamii you'd never otherwise have a chance to see.

The problem with that is that it feeds GAS (Guitar Acquisition Syndrome). And we are nothing if not enablers for GAS - if you're even thinking about getting a particular guitar or model, we'll either convince to to get it or convince you to get a better one. One of us (most likely Trader Jim) will probably sell it to you, too.

One last thing - do contact Al Pepiak (alpeplostartvintagecom replace @ and .) before you commit to buy - he's an Ovation dealer and can get you the absolute best price on new, custom order, or old and unusual samples.

Stick around and enjoy the ride!
Slipkid
Posted 2008-12-23 9:50 AM (#5403 - in reply to #5393)

Welcome Standing.
That's one of the best "first posts" I've read in a long time.
Hope ya stick around.
MWoody
Posted 2008-12-23 12:06 PM (#5404 - in reply to #5393)

Brad,
Post something else...quick!

Welcome Standing!

How much money have you got? We're pretty good at spending other people's money!
sycamore
Posted 2008-12-23 12:23 PM (#5405 - in reply to #5393)

The 1615 Pacemaker 12-string is well regarded on this forum. I was lucky to find my late 70's one here in Ireland but they seem to be easier to get in the US for less than the price of the iDea guitar. They may not be cosmetically perfect but if you like the Ovation sound, and the 12-string sound...
Trader Jim
Posted 2008-12-23 12:40 PM (#5406 - in reply to #5393)

Welcome, the next Ovation you buy will only be the start if you hang around here. Speaking of Standing Ovation, I'm still looking for a cheap set of string tubes. Is he still selling them?
Jonmark Stone
Posted 2008-12-23 1:14 PM (#5407 - in reply to #5393)

Welcome to the club.
wilblee
Posted 2008-12-23 1:45 PM (#5408 - in reply to #5393)

Welcome, standing. Where in Texas are you from?
Mark in Boise
Posted 2008-12-23 2:23 PM (#5409 - in reply to #5393)

I'll add my welcome. Looks like most of your questions have been answered. Everyone needs at least one Ovation 12. Mine meets your specs, except for the cutaway and tuner. A built in tuner for a 12 would be really nice, but it never occurred to me that I would want to play so high up on the neck on a 12 string that a cutaway would be necessary. There are some real 12 string fans on this board, so you should get plenty of help with your search.
Designzilla
Posted 2008-12-23 2:23 PM (#5410 - in reply to #5393)

OK just to summarize...

There are a lot of great Ovation 12-strings available now for under $1,000. Check the For Sale section here and Call Al (he never closes), if you still haven't bought a guitar check ebay and craig's list.

Yes, some Ovations are still made in the US.

Sales people in Guitar Center can't find an Ovation, or their arse with both hands and a map.

Hanging around here will give you severe GAS, But there is a cure - buy another guitar!

Getting together with other OFC members, it the best way to play more Ovations (and other great guitars) than you knew existed. Plus you can meet some really great people.

Welcome to the OFC!

Brad, sell him a 2010 calendar...
lanaki
Posted 2008-12-23 2:31 PM (#5411 - in reply to #5393)

aloha and welcome, standing.

just buy an adamas 1688 ("big blue" is for sale in that section). git 'er done and over with as a 1688 is the very finest 12 string ever produced on planet earth. period.
cholloway
Posted 2008-12-23 2:36 PM (#5412 - in reply to #5393)

Welcome Standing!

I don't think I could keep a 12er strung and tuned properly, but you'll find what you're looking for here.
(Just for grins... I put new strings on my Legend the other night and before I knew it one of my fingers was bleeding profusely on the headstock!)

Good Luck.
wilblee
Posted 2008-12-23 2:45 PM (#5413 - in reply to #5393)

Standing, if you're anywhere near Austin, there's a local store that usually has a good selection of US made O's. It's been a while since I've been down there, but the last several times they've had a 6756LX, US made 12-string w/cutaway and built-in tuner. I love mine. Easy to play and sounds great plugged or unplugged.
standing
Posted 2008-12-23 5:50 PM (#5414 - in reply to #5393)

Originally posted by wilblee:
Standing, if you're anywhere near Austin, there's a local store that usually has a good selection of US made O's. It's been a while since I've been down there, but the last several times they've had a 6756LX, US made 12-string w/cutaway and built-in tuner. I love mine. Easy to play and sounds great plugged or unplugged.
Wow, I spent half a day out and about and came home to find a ton of nice greetings and helpful advice! Thanks all, I'm real glad I found you…

Wilblee, do you recall the name of the store in Austin? I get over there occasionally, I'm sure I could find an excuse to drive over from Houston…

Seems I need to get an email off to Al in the very near future, too…

Now I'm gonna go back and reread and consider all the great suggestions, thanks, and please keep them coming.

I'll post when I acquire my next Ovation, probably sooner rather than later… ;-)

still,
-standing-
Corey
Posted 2008-12-23 6:17 PM (#5415 - in reply to #5393)

Welcome from Sugar Land, TX.

I'm also new to the forum. Like you, I hadn't even thought about a new Ovation guitar since I stopped playing many years ago. I owned a K1111 Balladeer for 20 years before I practically gave it away. Having not shopped for guitars in over 30 years, I had many of the same questions you have about Ovations. USA vs. Asian etc.

I ended up buying a new Celebrity since I'm basically starting over. Thanks to the "GAS" I got from the forum already, I'm already thinking about the next one and the Celebrity has not been out of factory box yet. I'm doomed.

Good luck on your quest.

Corey
flackster
Posted 2008-12-23 6:39 PM (#5416 - in reply to #5393)

Originally posted by wilblee:
+1

I've got one also with a lowered action and plays like a dream. Built in tuner is a bonus

Welcome mate
Capo Guy
Posted 2008-12-23 9:40 PM (#5417 - in reply to #5393)

Welcome standing,

The other members have givin you some good suggestions.

I have 2 Ovation 12 strings. A 1115 Pacemaker and a 1758 Elite. Both sound great, and no they're not for sale. The Adamas in the For Sale section would be a great guitar.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)