The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "It's much too late to do anything about rock & roll now ..." - Jerry Garcia / Grateful Dead

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Anybody Mic Their Ovation? If so.....

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2008Message format

soundchaser59
Posted 2008-12-16 12:36 PM (#6452)
Subject: Anybody Mic Their Ovation? If so.....

.....then what mics do you use......

and how do you place the mics?

My old '82 Legend doesn't have the greatest pickup sound for home recording, but I'm having trouble getting a super clean and balanced mic'd sound. Any suggestions?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
CrimsonLake
Posted 2008-12-16 12:48 PM (#6453 - in reply to #6452)
Subject: Re: Anybody Mic Their Ovation? If so.....

See here:

Mic Topic
soundchaser59
Posted 2008-12-16 2:11 PM (#6454 - in reply to #6452)

Originally posted by HumblePie aka Solid Top:
On stage use , for amplifying acoustic guitar , the following are rather successfull :

The Best !! ( imho ) attachable to any ACOUSTIC guitar :

http://www.seelectronics.com/GM10.html

You `d be surprised how well it works , and comfortable too !
The C535 I was not really able to do so well with.

The attachable mic boom is a great idea, BUT...... how can I use it on a deep bowl Legend? There are no straight sides on my Ovation.

I do already have good mics, I've cycled thru several mics over the last 3 years. I've settled with a pair of C414 ULS and an AT4033, all of which see general purpose uses for me including mic'ing my Ovation.

I guess my question was intended to focus more on placement, use of rolloffs if any, eq if any, compression if any, and not so much on mic choice. I did ask though because it helps to know which mics people are using when they describe how they place them.

The only condensor I have that I have never tried on the Ovation is an AT AE5400 handheld stage mic.

I felt like the inexpensive Chinese condensors were a bit thin and brittle sounding, especially the SDC's. I tried a pair of NT5's too and felt like they were a bit too bright and not quite full or balanced sounding, but that could easily have been due to improper placement. The cheap ribbons are much nicer, I think, but still a bit on the dull side for mic'ing an acoustic.

I suppose other options might be a good DI like an LR Baggs? Or a better pickup inside? Or a hole mounted mic? I used to have a Baggs DI but I never did try it on stage before I sold it, and I'm guessing on stage is where it would be most helpful.
alpep
Posted 2008-12-16 2:39 PM (#6455 - in reply to #6452)

neumann
dobro
Posted 2008-12-16 5:19 PM (#6456 - in reply to #6452)

I've got great results with the AKG 3000 mic. The tune "Lullaby" was done with that mic on an unplugged Legend.

Also, for sheer ease, I record my Adams directly into the little stereo mics on my Zoom H4. The tune "Carbon 14" was done that way.

You can do an A/B for yourself. You'll find compressed versions of the tunes on MY PAGE.
BeatleWho
Posted 2008-12-17 5:44 AM (#6457 - in reply to #6452)

I've been experimenting a little bit with this on my CS247 which is "double swiss cheese" for sound holes instead of the big round one :-) but my approach was to plug it into a small amp and mic the amp AND stick a mic maybe about a foot out in front of the guitar and mix the two sounds together. At some point I think I may try three channels of recording by using a DI to get direct output into the mix as well as the two mics. You can get a huge variety of sounds out of this mix, almost too many, but the possibilities seem too good to ignore. Finding the time to experiment is another matter.... :-(

Duane
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)