The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now." - Jol Dantzig

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Neck size/design and playability

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2008Message format

twistedlim
Posted 2008-12-16 7:42 AM (#6544)
Subject: Neck size/design and playability

I must preface this by noting that I am back into playing after some years off. My other guitar that I had picked up and plucked from time to time was an old Japanese copy of a Martin parlor sized guitar made by Rokkomman. The neck on that guitar is wide like a classical guitar and I must admit the action is very low all the way up the neck which includes a fair amount of buzz past the 6th fret :) . That, and the fact that I was nervous about putting anything heavier than .010s on it because the bridge was pulling away from the top made it easy to pick up and play.
Now enter my 1767 Legend. I downloaded the manual and set the action according to specs. It had somewhat of a warp to it but it is now straight after a bit of truss adjustment. The distance at the 12th fret is about .080 (2.5/32nds) which is pretty much what is recommended by Ovation as I can read from the manual. I had a local guitar repair guy check the nut height and he said if anyting it may be a tad low. The sound is spectacular. I spent some time in a local shop the other day playing martins, taylors etc and none could match the fullness and bright tone of the Legend. Where I am having difficulty (probably mostly because of my long hiatis) is barred cords. The neck being quite a bit more narrow has more of a crown to it than my other guitar. I have been using .010s on it but tried some D'Addario EJ16- .012s and it makes the .010s seem tinny and soft. I guess I am wondering if this neck design is typical of all Ovations or limited to the 1767 legend. I know I will get used to it eventually but my fingers are a achin. Just curious if other models vary in neck design and what the reasoning is for this neck design.
Cheers,
Rich
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Gallerinski
Posted 2008-12-16 8:07 AM (#6545 - in reply to #6544)
Subject: Re: Neck size/design and playability

That's the standard Ovation neck width and radius on the 1767. Some other models have a wider neck, but very few. I tend to not worry so much about the numbers (it's a this or a that, etc.) I just know what feels good to me when I find it.
dobro
Posted 2008-12-16 8:19 AM (#6546 - in reply to #6544)

Here's my two bits worth: When I had the neck replaced on my 74 Legend, Mothership (CT Plant) installed a new neck of the same standard width, BUT the neck itself was massively THICKER: Gallerinski is right. Width alone (or whatever) is not the end of the story. So far I have seen no posts on the varying BULK of necks across the decades. My very favorite neck, hands down, is the slick thin neck on my Adamas 1581-5 RI.
Slipkid
Posted 2008-12-16 8:35 AM (#6547 - in reply to #6544)

Here's a thought... I wonder if in the days before CNC machinery there was more of a difference in the feel of the neck from guitar to guitar of the same model??
Maybe Bill can tell us when computer controled machinery started pumping out guitar necks.
Also, this is a time where it would be nice if someone from the Factory could be available to answer a technical or historical question or two.
twistedlim
Posted 2008-12-16 9:26 AM (#6548 - in reply to #6544)

That would be interesting to know. I am an archer. I hunt with traditional bows and I know particular bow makers will vary their design from year to year and before CNC milling I am know there was a bit of deviation to each one. I am not saying that the design is bad, just a lot different from what I am used to. Practice, practice, practice and it will all go away. I did go look at a number of similar older models and many list the same width at the nut but of course there is nothing stated about the crown or whatever on the fretboard itself nor the coutour of the back of the neck which I imagine plays a significan role in how the instrument plays.

I did have the opportunity to play a 1777 legend at a local store and I was very suprised to hear the difference between a mid bowl and the deep bowl on my 1767. In all fairness to the 1777 the strings could have possibly been put on during the Regan white house years.
G8r
Posted 2008-12-16 9:32 AM (#6549 - in reply to #6544)

My 1619 is one of the earliest Kaman bar necks and has a very pronounced V shape - considerably different from all the other O's and A's I've owned and played. Takes a little getting used to, but I like the feel of it for blues fingerstyle. The shape ensure that I place my thumb directly on the center of the neck and so makes for cleaner fingering on the fretting hand.
twistedlim
Posted 2008-12-16 10:22 AM (#6550 - in reply to #6544)

g8r,
I think you nailed it with the "V" shape. I never thought of it but checked the 1767 and it does have the same pronounced shape compared to my other guitar which is basically flat. It does not take much to get off center on the back and affect the pressure on the strings. Thanks! I will just have to get used to her.
Mark in Boise
Posted 2008-12-16 10:31 AM (#6551 - in reply to #6544)

The barre chords are just going to be tough for awhile. For barre chords, I actually like the curve on the fretboard with a standard neck, better than the flatter fretboards on a wider neck. Many of us here had long layoffs. It just takes awhile to build up the strength and touch. Mine still hurt after playing a couple songs with all barre chords. I admire these guys who do 4 hour gigs.
twistedlim
Posted 2008-12-16 11:04 AM (#6552 - in reply to #6544)

I hear ya Mark. I have come to the conclusion it is on not the curve or crown on the fretboard but rather the V shap on the back of the neck. With flatter, or more gently rounded back the hand placement does not seem as critical. I just have to get tougher. Happy Gilmore and I have an appointment at a batting cage.
Mark in Boise
Posted 2008-12-16 1:18 PM (#6553 - in reply to #6544)

I should pay more attention and see if different neck shapes make my left hand ache faster, but the only difference I've noticed was the fretboard shape.
dweezil
Posted 2008-12-16 1:23 PM (#6554 - in reply to #6544)

As soon as you experience an ache, stop! Do not play through the pain. With practise and time you will be able to barre all day long.
twistedlim
Posted 2008-12-16 1:38 PM (#6555 - in reply to #6544)

Funny you should say that. I was going through all my old stuff from college and I took a guitar class....yea I know fluff major :) . Anyway the first day of notes from the instructor said the same thing. Practice them often but not for a long duration. If your hand gets tired, stop.

Actually since it was pointed out the back of the neck had the V shape I have played around and as long as I am aware that I have to be centered it is getting easier. Thanks for the tip though.
ProfessorBB
Posted 2008-12-17 10:08 AM (#6556 - in reply to #6544)

I prefer the neck on my 1651 Legend Limited, although different neck sizes no longer seem to bother me, and I am increasingly enjoying the wider 1-3/4" sizes. Guess the tips of my fingers have squared off over the past ten years. The most difficult neck I've ever found is on the Hurricane 12. The width is a standard 1-11/16" which allows little room to forgive sloppy fingering technique.
Designzilla
Posted 2008-12-17 7:32 PM (#6557 - in reply to #6544)

I really like the necks on the Deacons and Breadwinners. Some of the most comfortable, easy playing electrics I have ever played.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)